Time for a new truck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying my data is or isnt skewed, its a definite possibility, I'm just saying what I saw.
Ford seems to dominate the 3500-5500 realm of medium duty fleet trucks. For all I know, a single ambulance or tow company could have caused those results. I just moved the heavy crates. A different guy was in charge of processing cores and warranties.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all depends on what model years. The 2003 - 2010 Ford Power stroke diesels (67.0L & 6.4L) were horrible. These really gave ford a bad name when it comes to diesel. From about 2013 on all three brands are building good Diesel trucks.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well I quit in '16 but Im related to and/or good friends with the last two returns managers. I can ask if my claim still holds water? I had my replacement over for cards and drinks two nights ago.
Edit: I contacted some folks. Still more Ford diesel and turbo cores and warranties than GM or Mopar
You saw plenty of 11' 6.7l turbos I'm sure.....ceramic bearings lol.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve decided to go forward with doing what I should have done before I bought my current truck, and buy a diesel.
So here’s the question:
I’m pretty sold on buying a 2010+ Ram 2500 or 3500 with a Cummins and 4 wheel drive. I don’t need a dually, but if I can find a far better price on one, I’m not opposed to it. I’ve found some decent trucks floating around, but I’ve also noticed that ford power strokes are going for anywhere from $3-15k less than a comparable Cummins.
Why? I’m not much of a fan of post 70s fords, but the price difference might be enough to get me to change my mind. Are they just garbage? I drove an F550 service truck with a 6.0 in it for about a year, and it was the biggest piece of crap I’ve ever driven down the street. My buddy has a 6.0 F250 and it’s been ok, but he has had to put a lot of money into it. Are the new 6.7 power strokes just as bad?
I have owned two Dodge Cummins diesels, a 1997, and a 2004, dualey, 4 wheel drive. With the extra weaight of the diesel engine, you will really need 4 WD if you get off the paved road much. and loved both of them. If you decide to buy the Ford be sure to get the heated tasilgate option, so your hands won't stick to the tail gate in cold weather, while pushing it!

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I quit in '16 but Im related to and/or good friends with the last two returns managers. I can ask if my claim still holds water? I had my replacement over for cards and drinks two nights ago.
Edit: I contacted some folks. Still more Ford diesel and turbo cores and warranties than GM or Mopar
A friend of mine’s dad has a large auto repair shop in Dallas for individual customers and a lot of the other nearby shops that don’t have the speciality knowledge on more delicate or complex problem vehicles. Last he figured up he saw 6x as many Ford diesels and gm and ram combined. Says Ford keeps food on the table. He also rebuilds alternators and starters and said several Ford dealerships are big customers because they replace so many in the newer models that they can’t get Ford corporate to keep up with demand. He was a Chevy guy for years, now drives a tundra. His son is strictly a buyer of Cummins

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying my data is or isnt skewed, its a definite possibility, I'm just saying what I saw.
Ford seems to dominate the 3500-5500 realm of medium duty fleet trucks. For all I know, a single ambulance or tow company could have caused those results. I just moved the heavy crates. A different guy was in charge of processing cores and warranties.
From what I understand, they dominate because of the price point they give to large companies who buy or lease trucks in the hundreds every year.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ram.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A friend of mine’s dad has a large auto repair shop in Dallas for individual customers and a lot of the other nearby shops that don’t have the speciality knowledge on more delicate or complex problem vehicles. Last he figured up he saw 6x as many Ford diesels and gm and ram combined. Says Ford keeps food on the table. He also rebuilds alternators and starters and said several Ford dealerships are big customers because they replace so many in the newer models that they can’t get Ford corporate to keep up with demand. He was a Chevy guy for years, now drives a tundra. His son is strictly a buyer of Cummins
Any idea how many powerstrokes are sold per year vs Duramax and Cummins? I don't just asking. Maybe it's 6x more lol.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you need a diesel?
The new 7.3 gasser in the Ford pulls great. We pull over 16,000 lbs down the road in a fifth wheel RV.

Since taking delivery of the truck in September of 2020 we have pulled over 36,000 miles from South Tx to the Canadian border in Montana over every mountain pass in between without issues while maintaining the speed limits and passing diesels sitting on the side of the road with steam coming out of the hoods.

Part of the issue with any truck that one wants to pull loads with is they select the wrong gear ratio for the rear end thinking like the old days that a high ratio will get them better mileage. Not true.
The new transmissions are computer controlled and adapt.
My cousin bought the same F-250 I did but he bought the 3:56 gears as he doesn't pull much now, but anticipated buying a RV in a year or two. We get exactly the same gas mileage which is about 13.3 combo city/highway, mostly highway. With the specifications that Ford puts out, he lost many thousand pounds of towing capacity with that higher gear ratio.
Determine what you want to do with your truck and size it accordingly.
Personally, I'd never need nor want a diesel for our requirements. Your requirements may be different.
My reasoning for my need/want is in the post you quoted. I did look at the truck you have, or at least ones specced similarly. I think it’s a fantastic package, and likely perfect for most folks. I’m really interested to see what people do with the engine in hot rods and the like, the engine has insane amounts of potential. The problem is that I’m trying to stick to a budget, and get something reasonably close to what my truck is valued. I have some cash to put on top, but not 2020+ Ford super duty money. I’m trying to keep things between $25-38k, and the cheapest 4x4 Ford with a 7.3 gasser I could find was $46k.
That F150 is a 250. Broken marker light, door doesn't close and the bed is already a different color. And they put those stupid SDuty towing mirrors on it, looks like 05 or newer. Hard pass there. Given the condition of the outside, I'd love to see the extra stuff under the hood.
Oh I didn’t catch the F150 part. With a 7.3 power stroke swapped in there it likely has a bent frame and some serious stress fractures in its future, if not already. Unless they did some serious reinforcement and frame boxing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom