Time for a new truck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My reasoning for my need/want is in the post you quoted. I did look at the truck you have, or at least ones specced similarly. I think it’s a fantastic package, and likely perfect for most folks. I’m really interested to see what people do with the engine in hot rods and the like, the engine has insane amounts of potential. The problem is that I’m trying to stick to a budget, and get something reasonably close to what my truck is valued. I have some cash to put on top, but not 2020+ Ford super duty money. I’m trying to keep things between $25-38k, and the cheapest 4x4 Ford with a 7.3 gasser I could find was $46k.

Oh I didn’t catch the F150 part. With a 7.3 power stroke swapped in there it likely has a bent frame and some serious stress fractures in its future, if not already. Unless they did some serious reinforcement and frame boxing.

research the Nissan Titan with the Cummins. My buddy is wanting a gas vehicle since he’s tired of paying for diesel. He may give you a good deal.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned two Dodge Cummins diesels, a 1997, and a 2004, dualey, 4 wheel drive. With the extra weaight of the diesel engine, you will really need 4 WD if you get off the paved road much. and loved both of them. If you decide to buy the Ford be sure to get the heated tasilgate option, so your hands won't stick to the tail gate in cold weather, while pushing it!
I had an 04.5 in the past, was a great truck. 4WD is definitely a requirement, as are appropriate tires. I dont go mud bogging or anything ridiculous, but I do spend a lot of time on rough/muddy/sandy roads and a good amount off-road. I’m averaging 3 days a month right now driving around WMA land, and some of those areas can be pretty bad.
From what I understand, they dominate because of the price point they give to large companies who buy or lease trucks in the hundreds every year.
That’s my understanding as well. Ford has the numbers advantage, as they already sell more trucks than everyone else, so they can offer more discounts to fleet buyers. But, that may be changing. I’ve seen several companies switching to Chevy. Halliburton did a few years ago, and a lot of these electric companies are either using Chevy medium duty chassis or dodge 5500s.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll give it some research time. I hadn’t considered one.
Be very cautious with the Cummins powered nissans. The engine and trans both had really high number of catastrophic failures. Not to say all do, but enough that it was quickly scrapped and I don’t think many parts are even offered now for them.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be very cautious with the Cummins powered nissans. The engine and trans both had really high number of catastrophic failures. Not to say all do, but enough that it was quickly scrapped and I don’t think many parts are even offered now for them.
Yeah, that’s what I was reading. I think it was car and driver, or auto trend had nothing nice to say about it in their long term test. Well, aside from the seats being heavenly. But they had it in the shop at least 6 times for internal coolant leaks. Cummins does small inline engines and big industrial engines really well. I don’t know why they went with a v8 diesel for the titan.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what I was reading. I think it was car and driver, or auto trend had nothing nice to say about it in their long term test. Well, aside from the seats being heavenly. But they had it in the shop at least 6 times for internal coolant leaks. Cummins does small inline engines and big industrial engines really well. I don’t know why they went with a v8 diesel for the titan.
Wasn't it Buick or something that tried using a gasser aluminum block to make a diesel back in the 80's that was a failure from the git go?
The airboat folks got all over it and make some decent engines after major modifications. They loved the aluminum blocks that were light.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was the 350 V8 small block cast iron that was in use for many years then GM converted into a Diesel. It was a good engine as gasoline powered with the carburetor and distributor system. It was not designed for diesel, it was a bad decision, and they were junk.

I worked for a Chevy & Buick dealer back in those days and remember well the problems and folks who got burned by and lost financially with that engine.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It was the 350 V8 small block cast iron that was in use for many years then GM converted into a Diesel. It was a good engine as gasoline powered with the carburetor and distributor system. It was not designed for diesel, it was a bad decision, and they were junk.

I worked for a Chevy & Buick dealer back in those days and remember well the problems and folks who got burned by and lost financially with that engine.
6.2l GM diesel, they were terrible. The 6.5l wasn't much better lol.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother had a Nissan w/cummins. Had a lift pump failure in the first 30k miles. Dealership said new parts were backordered at least 6 months. The dealership ended up buying the truck back from him. This was early 2021.

Latest posts

Top Bottom