Timed Feeder design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am working on a feeder design that will allow a hunter to set the open and close times so that deer will only have access to feed when you have the feeder progamed to allow it. We have been using corn and liquid molassess from the feed store and it has dramatically increased the antler size of our deer this year, but the deer have had 24/7 access to the feed. I do not hunt on the food plots or in sight of this feeder but think having it timed may keep some of the deer in closer and slightly alter their movement times in that area. Would this design be something any of you would be interested in? It would use a small car battery, an electric actuator, plastic half barrel and a aluminum lid. Definately not bear proof, but we do not have them or hogs here, yet...

N

Newton Thibodeaux

I am working on a feeder design that will allow a hunter to set the open and close times so that deer will only have access to feed when you have the feeder progamed to allow it. We have been using corn and liquid molassess from the feed store and it has dramatically increased the antler size of our deer this year, but the deer have had 24/7 access to the feed. I do not hunt on the food plots or in sight of this feeder but think having it timed may keep some of the deer in closer and slightly alter their movement times in that area. Would this design be something any of you would be interested in? It would use a small car battery, an electric actuator, plastic half barrel and a aluminum lid. Definately not bear proof, but we do not have them or hogs here, yet...
yes very interested; I would invest in something like that. I think it could revolutionize the feeder market. I waste so much corn with the bigger, older, smarter deer eating at midnight where if they were forced to eat during the hunting hours you would have a better chance at a class deer.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will try to get y'all some pictures. My uncle and everyone on the lease he manages has been building their or feeders with timers for years. I do remember everything was housed in a steel ammo can under the feeder. The "spinner" that slings feed sticks out of a hole in the can lid. The ammo can lid was bolted solid to the bottom of the barrel. There is a gap between the bottom of barrel and ammo can. There's a hole in the bottom of the barrel that allows corn to fall on the spinner. The motor, battery and timer was inside ammo can. You gained access to them by unlatching the ammo can. It would just hinge down as the lid was attached to the feed barrel. The batteries the use are maybe a few inches wide and 6" long by 4" tall.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not really clear on exactly what you’re trying to design, but Outback Feeders already makes a timed protein feeder. Their feeders are really expensive, but after feeding protein free choice for the first time this year, they may be well worth the money.:anyone:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but is really that difficult to set up a feeder with a programmable timer?
Not really, you can pick up a 12v digital timer for less than 15 bucks even if you get a feeder without a timer.

I think the whole thing is the "did it myself" from start to finish honors. It's kinda like the difference between the person who buys a built upper and lower to put together and claim they "built" their rifle to the person who buys a stripped upper and stripped lower and builds it themselves.

Plus you build the whole thing yourself you know if you used quality or crap parts, how to fix it, and can make your own customizations. Want one you will only have to stock one a year, just use a 300 gallon tank and an auger system. Want something super portable, build it on a small trailer that can be towed with an ATV. Want to make it bear and hog proof, suspend a plastic 55 gallon drum feeder 10 feet off the ground from a big tree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom