To ask/inform the neighbor or not (tree limbs over property line)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your yard looks very similar to mine. Neighbor to my east has several trees that always grow over my fence, shading the grass, scraping on my storage shed, growing through my fence, leaning against my fence. When they need trimming, I trim them and never look back. Never had them complain. Several years ago, when the fence needed to be replaced, they were given the opportunity to share in the cost. I never saw a penny from any of my neighbors. My fence, my yard, I'm gonna' maintain them.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so neighbors tree has limbs over the fence (willow, its touching the ground on my side). Law says its my responsibility. Do I give them a chance to do it themselves for their own benefit or do I just go for it? Coworker says to ask them even though its my responsibility. "Give them a chance to do it the way they would want to".
I figure if you've not done it in the time I've been in the house, its not a concern of yours and I just do it myself.
Burn their house down and shoot their dog ,that's where this will end up so cut to the chase

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My two cents...

IF it matters to you, tell them what you intend to do as a courtesy. If they are good with it, that's all the better. If not, tough.
It's your problem to deal with, not theirs. No need to ask for their assistance, approval or shared cost.
Just inform, and whack away. Move on.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I joked with a coworker that I was gonna "water" it with diesel to take care of the issue....he was not amused.
Branches are big enough the sawzall worked quite well...problem solved :D
We'll see if they say anything. I trimmed 'em flush with the fence to a height I can walk under.

:thumbup3:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so neighbors tree has limbs over the fence (willow, its touching the ground on my side). Law says its my responsibility. Do I give them a chance to do it themselves for their own benefit or do I just go for it? Coworker says to ask them even though its my responsibility. "Give them a chance to do it the way they would want to".
I figure if you've not done it in the time I've been in the house, its not a concern of yours and I just do it myself.
I had the exact same issue. In fact, one of the willow limbs got in between the fence boards and was spreading and unmovable. I asked the neighbor and she gave me permission to trim anything I wanted on my side of the fence. That willow got an east side haircut.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I joked with a coworker that I was gonna "water" it with diesel to take care of the issue....he was not amused.
Branches are big enough the sawzall worked quite well...problem solved :D
We'll see if they say anything. I trimmed 'em flush with the fence to a height I can walk under.

Haha! You and the old man. He thinks diesel solves everything. Lol Uhmmm, NO! :bigeye:

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My two crab apple trees that are in my back yard were there before either me or my neighbor, who's property they hang over. They look beautiful for about two weeks out of the year, the rest they are kind of a pain. I could care less what they do to them on their side.

Side note: Can I sue the neighbors who have walnut trees? <-j/k For some stupid reason the squirrels leave the damn green, tar covered ones on my steps, porch, and driveway making a mess. I found one just sitting in front of my door one day. There is no walnut tree within sight of my house. Are these just retarded squirrels who think that's a good place to hide them for winter?

Latest posts

Top Bottom