To mask, or not to mask, THAT, is the question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any new solid info on the viral load of asymptomatic folks and related transmission of COVID?

Comparing the 2 groups? Beats me, would have to ask one of the ID docs. I usually interact with intensivists. Regardless, best practice says to wear a mask. Can’t argue with evidence based medicine.

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Comparing the 2 groups? Beats me, would have to ask one of the ID docs. I usually interact with intensivists. Regardless, best practice says to wear a mask. Can’t argue with evidence based medicine.

Well . . . that's why I'm asking for . . . the latest evidence.

A difference of 3 positive cases per 100k between folks who wore a mask vs those who didn't doesn't really seem like we need to be shutting Thanksgiving down over concerns of asymptomatic spread to me.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us remember the same arguments when seat beasts were introduced.

Do you think opinions on buckling up have changed significantly since then? I'll admit that it's habit for me now and I don't give buckling up a second thought. But I don't view that to be anywhere close to wearing a mask while out in public. I don't see all of the virtue signaling about buckling up like I do for mask wear. I don't see social media warriors blasting people who don't buckle up like I do when they go after folks who might not wear a mask correctly or at all. I'd venture to guess that almost everyone complaining on social media about not having a mask mandate text and drive . . . . it's all about perceived risk and whether we're willing to deal with it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care if you wear a seat belt or not. It is for your safety....not mine.

I do care if you wear a mask or not. It is for my safety...not yours.

Quit being so pedantic.

So I take it you will be wearing a mask for the rest of your life? Flu season and all.

Also, I take it you no longer own a vehicle? or will drive? Elderly drivers are a significant hazard to public safety.

Think of the children. If it saves JUST ONE!

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A difference of 3 positive cases per 100k between folks who wore a mask vs those who didn't doesn't really seem like we need to be shutting Thanksgiving down over concerns of asymptomatic spread to me.

You can go to the CDC website for research, if interested. They usually have a long list of recent studies that are available. Also, if you have access to a university library, you can get a lot of research without extra cost.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This is not exactly true. The data is 3 cases per 100k between areas with a mask mandate and areas without.

In my opinion the data is flawed because of all the non-compliance in mandated areas and the plethora of crappy masks being used in mandated areas. I’m also assuming the lack of taking other precautions recommended by CDC is equal in both areas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom