To SBR or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been working on a 9mm carbine and have fully intended on going through all the hoops to SBR it. However in light of recent events, I am beginning to think about just keeping it a pistol and thus "off the books". The proposal to register all ARs in the NFA looks like the next last step to consfication to me.

Anyone else in a holding pattern or am I just over reacting?

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most every SBR that was on dealer shelves is now under transfer, wonder what that's going to do to the wait times. Maybe all the extra practice will make them faster? :D

Might as well get it in the hopper now. New NFA has been restricted before (MGs in '86) so it's not unbelievable that SBRs, particularly those of unsporting purpose, could be restricted as well. But the good old 5th amendment, "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation" makes me think the old ones would be grandfathered, unless the Gov't is going to print up a bunch of funny money to buy everyone's collections.

Every day you wait to submit, is at least one more day till you get your stamp...

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm coming at it more from the angle of everyone being freaked out by the idea of registering every AR with the ATF. Every SBR is already registered so they know exactly where and who to go after if something were to actually happen. Never really thought the political will would ever be there for confiscations but they are going nutso after this Sandy Hook deal. Just really don't want to be first on the list of confiscations if they were to ever happen. Sounding kinda like reddog. Yikes.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had any NFA stuff though I think a lot of it is totally cool. But I hate the system and hoops one has to go through to make a barrel a half inch shorter (or whatever).

At the moment I wouldn't touch the idea of putting something through NFA with a ten foot pole. But that's just me. YMM -and most likely will- V.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do it Byron. I have two SBR's, one stamp received and one pending right now. There's just something about havin that short barrel that is totally badass. Jesse is sending his forms off as soon as he gets his lower back from the engravers. Might as well get in on the suppressors too.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People worry about this but then have C&R licenses, so have basically given up rights to search their home over it.

Personally, and you can break out the tin foil if you want, it would not surprise me if much of the 4473 data is already cataloged on a computer database anyways. Unless you bought it for cash from a private seller, you are probably not as sneaky as you want to be.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People worry about this but then have C&R licenses, so have basically given up rights to search their home over it.

Personally, and you can break out the tin foil if you want, it would not surprise me if much of the 4473 data is already cataloged on a computer database anyways. Unless you bought it for cash from a private seller, you are probably not as sneaky as you want to be.

the 4473s are not in a data base they are kept forever at the dealer so they would need to go to each dealer and look at them as of now. next year who knows there may be some big data base with all of us nut job gun owners in it

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do it Byron. I have two SBR's, one stamp received and one pending right now. There's just something about havin that short barrel that is totally badass. Jesse is sending his forms off as soon as he gets his lower back from the engravers. Might as well get in on the suppressors too.

They are definitely badass. Plus a 9mm carbine just "needs" to be SBR'd. Probably ought to be suppressed too but one step at a time.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

As a C&R holder I have never had the ATF ask to come to my house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom