Toadstools in Utah - Our Latest Excursion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The toadstools are formed when the sandstone erodes away to create a column, but leaving a "capstone" atop the column that is generally a harder substance than the sandstone. While the toadstools are interesting and somewhat unique, the area around them abounds with such a variety of colors, patterns, and examples of erosion.

The following photos may not have a lot of dialogue with them, but I think anyone viewing can appreciate the beauty shown in them.

Besides the colors and layers in the surrounding hills, even the sand in the wash shows different colors and patterns.

The trail back to the toadstools is roughly 3/4 of a mile from the trailhead, which is just off of Highway 89 and about 30 miles (roughly) from Page, AZ. Most of the trail to the toadstools is in the dry wash, but if there is any water running (probably rarely since this area doesn't get a lot of rainfall, one would have to make their trail up out of the wash.

The area in white in this picture is in the area of the toadstools.

Even the fallen soil and rock makes interesting patterns on the small hills. An example of how some of the larger "cliffs" seem to sit atop areas that have fallen away from the higher elevations.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More of the trail in the wash and showing a washed out area at a bend in the wash. I'd think that I wouldn't want to be in this wash if there was a flash flood, although I suspect the watershed for the wash isn't really that big. I won't tempt it though.

I also found the erosion in this rock to be very interesting.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe just a bit over half way to the toadstools, I turned and took this picture showing the way we had come from the trailhead.

I had seen pictures online prior to our trip out there, so I knew this shelf in the wash was here. While a younger, more limber, individual could climb this and stay in the wash, we chose to take the upper trail that leads to an eyebrow of a trail on a hillside above the wash.

Some of the hillside near us and the different colors and shapes.

Nearing the toadstools, one can just see the top of the prominent toadstool in the center of this picture.

This shows the prominent toadstool and a nearby one with it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the wife stand in front of this one. I had seen it earlier online, but a picture of it without something to give it perspective to its size is misleading. This thing was huge. The wife is 5'4" tall.

By contrast, the smaller toadstools get their size perspective by comparing them to the Yucca plants.

Erosion in the cliff face.

The erosion on the cliff faces also leaves odd looking formations that remind me of cliff dwellings, but on a much smaller scale.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Atop of this cliff is an anti-social toadstool that wanted to go off somewhere and sulk. I might have to see if I can get up there sometime and see just how big this one really is. That would also let me get some interesting photos looking down upon the other toadstools.

On our way back out at this point, so I'm just taking pictures of whatever draws my interest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom