Today is John Moses Brownings birthday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JMB was most certainly a giant of a man; a firearms design genius of unmatched proportion. His influence on small arms will be felt forever. Thanks for posting this.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's designed many a gun I've owned!!!

The ones I've owned:

970c518639d46112eccd56d574030e79.jpg

1893 top 1897 bottom
maxresdefault.jpg

1901..........12 guage
media.liveauctiongroup.net_i_27885_24744188_2.jpg_9858708a2f2064857dcc403928e90b86.jpg

Colt 1911
www.coltautos.com_images_1911_2425b.jpg

and when I was into Class III/ Transferable weapons...

Browning BAR
truthaboutguns_zippykid.netdna_ssl.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_P1310604_900x601.jpg

Just the Browning guns that I've owned...he designed a lot more.

Little side note about Browning; He was a Mormon and had to serve a mission for two years and he was assigned to Georgia. He and his partner would walk and try to convert people like they do today(on bicycles).

He had just designed and it went into operation..the 1887 shotgun while he was in Georgia.

Away from wife, children, and gun inventing to serve a two-year mission in Georgia. Once during his mission, he and his companion stopped to visit a sporting goods store that had on display a brand new Winchester 87 repeating shotgun. The proprietor was surprised at how facilely the besuited out-of-towner handled the weapon and operated the action. When the proprietor observed that John obviously knew how to handle the gun, John’s companion replied, “He ought to. He invented it.”

The Trench Gun 1897 used in WW I, got the Germans attention...especially when they signed the peace treaty!!

Although the Model 1897 was popular with American troops in WW I, the Germans soon began to protest its use in combat. "On 19 September 1918, the German government issued a diplomatic protest against the American use of shotguns, alleging that the shotgun was prohibited by the law of war.

A part of the German protest read that "it is especially forbidden to employ arms, projections, or materials calculated to cause unnecessary suffering" as defined in 1907 convention. This is the only known occasion in which the legality of actual combat use of the shotgun has been raised.
However, the United States interpreted their use of the shotgun differently than Germany. The Judge Advocate General of the Army, Secretary of State carefully considered and reviewed the applicable law and promptly rejected the German protest. France and Britain considered using shotguns as trench weapons during WWI. The shotgun in question was a double barrel shotgun which was not used because they were unable to obtain high powered ammo and that type of gun is slow to reload in close combat.

German Response
The rejection of their protest greatly upset the German forces, because they believed they were treated unjustly in the war. Shortly after the protest was rejected, Germany issued threats that they would punish all captured American soldiers that were found to be armed with a shotgun.. (1897) This led to the United States issuing a retaliation threat, stating that any measures unjustly taken against captured American soldiers would lead to an equal act by the United States on captured German soldiers.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are y'all? NUTS?! :screwy:

It's that bastard's fault that we are the way we are! If not for him, we'd all be normal, liberal, every man for himself, Hillary supporters, like good sheeple are. :ugh2:

God Bless you John Moses Browning. :bowdown: Thank you for not making me one of 'them.' :heart::bighug::heart:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a certified JMB fanboy.
BAR is my dream gun.

Ive had:

Hi Power
SA22
Auto 5
Superposed

A 1892 is next on my list.

I often wonder what kind of gun we would have if he were around to compete with John Garand for that contract....

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For any of you that have not been to the Browning store in Morgan, Utah, that should be on your bucket list.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom