Tomato cages?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tomato plants. No tomatoes. Every time I get a tomato on the vine some little grubby multilegged thingy comes along and invades it or eats it. I need to hire a Brinks truck.
Sulfur (sulphur?) powder works to sprinkle on tomatoes and such to repel bugs, and it just rinses off.
:drunk2:

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like others have posted, I have some cattle panels that are bent into an L-shape. I use two and have them zip-tied together into a square. Should last a good long while and not take up too much space when the growing season is over. I need to make some smaller cages for my pepper plants.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't mind the smaller squares, you can do well for cheap with a roll of wire utility fencing. I made these some years ago, just stake them with a t post (or an old fence post or w.e) and wire it up, as others stated. I think the wire roll was like $55....makes several cages.

As you can see from these images of last year's garden, I use some cheap plastic drop cloth around the small tomatoes early in the season, really holds off the wind and jump starts the plant like a little greenhouse.

Tomatoes are on the left side in the full garden pics. Obviously that tomato cage is older, you can see all the spots that were bent out to get in and harvest in earlier years.

Best of luck on solving it! Can never go wrong with cattle panels, for sure.

Attachments

• Resized_20200629_082628.jpg
    Resized_20200629_082628.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Resized_20200515_092537.jpg
    Resized_20200515_092537.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Resized_20200514_201717.jpg
    Resized_20200514_201717.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 55

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apologies for the double post, but......I never understood how they sell these 4 prong push in the ground things as tomato cages with a straight face? Peppers love the big ones, though. Much air, they can spread a bit.

Ha. Again, you can tell that cage on the small count dracula pepper plant has seen several seasons. I tend to use them until they are just trashed.

Attachments

• Resized_20200515_092514.jpg
    Resized_20200515_092514.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 53
  • Resized_20200706_185923.jpg
    Resized_20200706_185923.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 51

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no luck growing tomatoes; none at all. For some reason, all seems to be going fine until the grasshoppers "come home to eat" and the next morning, I have tomato sticks.

I have tomato plants. No tomatoes. Every time I get a tomato on the vine some little grubby multilegged thingy comes along and invades it or eats it. I need to hire a Brinks truck.

I had a few tomatoes. Got the blossom end rot pretty bad on my big plant. Did some organic lime and vinegar a couple of times and saved some of the crop on it. But what has about decimated my two plants is fungus. It's about wiped out my big container plant while the cherry tomato is still going but it'll be overtaken in a week or two. Been spraying the heck out of them with Daconil but it's kinda hard to control when it's raining 6 days out of every 9 for 3 months straight.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
If your planting them in a row put you a post at each end of row and run a cable at the top of post, be sure to run cable from top of post to the ground and anchor it into the ground good and get some heavy nylon cord and drop down at each plant then as plant grows tie it to the cord hanging down
That's what we used to do. It's really good for the shorter varieties.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are getting a bunch on our 1 plant. So many I am going to start pinching blooms again to get some size to the fruit. We had one beefsteak size and all the test have been a little larger than golf balls. I have picked a few green one for frying but it is still putting on too many blooms.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are getting a bunch on our 1 plant. So many I am going to start pinching blooms again to get some size to the fruit. We had one beefsteak size and all the test have been a little larger than golf balls. I have picked a few green one for frying but it is still putting on too many blooms.
Green tomato relish is incredible.
We grilled green tomatoes on a regular basis when we had a garden. 3/4” thick, basted with Italian salad dressing. Good stuff in the fall when cold weather was coming and they could never ripen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom