Tomorrow is Turkey Day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who here has already shot their Turkey Day bird for Thanksgiving 2021 from going hunting (as opposed to slaughtering one's own pen-raised bird on the farm or homestead)?

Shotgun or bow?

Hen, Tom or Jake?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shotgun in the spring. Smoking it.
20210406_210900.jpg

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No turkey season in November? I saw a Waltons Thanksgiving episode in the early 1970's where they were turkey hunting right during the holiday week. The Waltons were in 1930's West Virginia.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/a-wild-turkey-for-thanksgiving/
No Oklahoma fall turkey shotgun season?

Never mind, I found it:

https://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/turkey-regulations/
The "game nazis" cut shotgun turkeys off on November 19 this year. Too late this year for shooting a wild Sooner tom for tomorrow unless it's with a "Cupid weapon". They should at least keep gun season open until Thanksgiving day.

Last edited:

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just found it a moment ago and read it already but I still don't like it. Did you see my "never mind" above? The game agency is out of touch with old-fashioned traditions. My notions of turkey hunting came from watching The Waltons at age 8 in 1972. I believe that hunt on television was right the day before Thanksgiving. Notice the double-barrels and no camo.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I just found it a moment ago and read it already but I still don't like it. Did you see my "never mind" above? The game agency is out of touch with old-fashioned traditions. My notions of turkey hunting came from watching The Waltons at age 8 in 1972. I believe that hunt on television was right the day before Thanksgiving. Notice the double-barrels and no camo.

Ya think maybe the ODWC spends more time worrying about tradition or what will be better for the turkey population..

https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/wild-turkey-basics/population-threats

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don't know how logically game agencies "think" sometimes. Some state game regs around this nation are driven by public emotion and acts of state legislatures. We can only hope turkey gun days in Sooner were cut off following the 19th of this month in the name of some good cause. Why our state game regulators allow wild turkey death in Oklahoma by bow and arrow to continue even today on Thanksgiving, I can't reason. Maybe they figure that not many people hunt these birds by archery equipment and they fear that continued shotgun use might otherwise make turkeys go extinct. God only knows what's inside their minds. You should always hold your government's feet to the fire. You have the civic duty as citizens to question the questionable actions of your governments using lawful means, as provided by the Bill of Rights, to do such questioning. Authority can be lawfully questioned by free speech, the press, your vote on election days, petitions, lawful assembly in public, town hall mettings, messages to elected officials, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom