Too funny…. People in 1994 looking at an email address for the first time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First computer the company put on my desk, around 1987. IBM PC.

The IT tech is setting it up and suddenly stops, "wow, you got one with 40 Meg HD. You will never have to upgrade."

We were actually encouraged to play games, to get familiar with using the computer.

Had a Tandy at home, DOS system. 5 1/4" floppy disks, everywhere.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And a lot of this has now been replaced by text messages on one's phone.

I hit e-mail about once every two or three weeks now, just to delete out the nonsense stuff that we tend to get.
I'm exempt. I turned texting off on my phone a few months ago and told everyone if they wanted to talk to me they can call. If they don't want to call they can find something else to do. I'm busy enough with partial retirement that I don't need a phone yelling at me constantly.

Fun fact, my blood pressure dropped dramatically when I did that. Now I connect with people on my time.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First computer the company put on my desk, around 1987. IBM PC.

The IT tech is setting it up and suddenly stops, "wow, you got one with 40 Meg HD. You will never have to upgrade."

We were actually encouraged to play games, to get familiar with using the computer.

Had a Tandy at home, DOS system. 5 1/4" floppy disks, everywhere.

As to the Tandy, when I worked for that "major national electronics company," I sold those. Our first Tandy was in somewhere around the late '80's as the wife was taking her college courses in IT. When she came home one day and asked if we could buy a Tandy (suggested by one of her instructors), I got on the phone and called Radio Shack in Liberal, KS. They said that they had one in stock, and as I was asking them to hold it for her, she was going out the door to drive the 77 miles from where we lived to Liberal.

Later, while working for the company as a manager, we purchased a newer version that had the 40meg hard drive, and at that time, most people were buying Tandys with a 20meg drive.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 2018 when my folks died I had to get rid of his Tandy and and old 286, an 8088, and a 486.

The Tandy booted but started smoking bad so I shut er down. It went for $300 at the estate sale.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is a accountant (RetiredNow) back when she started working with computers they used punch cards.
I started my career in 1969 with Johnson & Johnson in Sherman TX. The first day, I was shown the “computer room”. Elevated floors, so cold I couldn’t imagine having to work in there. Room seemed like it was equivalent to maybe a four car garage.

Now, I have far more computing power with the phone in my pocket. We have lived in a very interesting era.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started my career in 1969 with Johnson & Johnson in Sherman TX. The first day, I was shown the “computer room”. Elevated floors, so cold I couldn’t imagine having to work in there. Room seemed like it was equivalent to maybe a four car garage.

Now, I have far more computing power with the phone in my pocket. We have lived in a very interesting era.
Dad worked for Pioneer Telephone and with an IBM System 3 and System 7. Same experience as you probably.

I remember these old disks and drives. I pitched them 2 years ago from my shop at the farm.

1674872749294.png

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I connected in the early 80’s via 300 baud. My first computer was a TI16 followed up by the Commodore 64 (sp?). I was thinking how much more memory does one need🤣

I stared working on these toys in 1984 (DOS 2.0, XT computer with maybe 128k ram, no hard drive as it booted from floppy🤣
I started with a Vic 20, then a Commodore 64, an Amiga 128 then an SX16 . The first hard drive I saw was 8.4 megabites and $1200.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of email, has anyone else been having problems with outlook and hotmail today? My last incoming message was the 22nd of December for some reason. I was emailing all day yesterday. Nothing is showing up except a required verification of my email information which I deleted as spam.
My hotmail account has been fine today. Three emails from Primary Arms, two or three from Palmetto, one from Midway, and the list goes on as well as the typical spam.

Latest posts

Top Bottom