Too much internal volume?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is such a thing as too much internal volume?

Looking at two options here to shoot a 17WSM through.

#1 is a .22 can that is stout enough for 17WSM pressure
#2 is a 5.56 can, that has more volume and could be used on both a 17 and 5.56

The primary thing on rimfire cans is serviceability because .22 is so dirty, but being that 17WSM is FMJ and also hotter, its not nearly as dirty.
But if the 5.56 can is serviceable anyways, is there a reason not to buy the 5.56 can over a .rimfire can?

I'm kinda thinking of doing a Form 1 can to use on a 17WSM Pdog gun, so it wouldnt get tons of use every year in that scenario...but I also dont want to ruin the sound suppression by having too much volume if that's even possible?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I would go with the 556 can. Don't know anything about 17wsm. But 22 cans are mostly designed for low pressure rounds at 900-1300 fps and I think a different baffle style would be in order for the 17wsm. PPA Super Duper or WTT Flo or maybe something from Shrimp Gang Design.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the 556 can. Then, when you think it is dirty, put it on an AR and dump a mag through it. I do the same thing with one of mine. That advice came straight from the mfgr on how to clean out rimfire debris from a 556 full-auto rated steel can.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the weight would bother you well before you get to the point of diminishing returns on performance from increased volume.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go with the 556 can. I have a Thunderbeast rated for 300 WinMag and use it on most everything smaller. Works great on my 308’s but it sees most action on my 6.8 SPC.

Shrimpsauce

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The primary thing on rimfire cans is serviceability because .22 is so dirty, but being that 17WSM is FMJ and also hotter, its not nearly as dirty.
But if the 5.56 can is serviceable anyways, is there a reason not to buy the 5.56 can over a .rimfire can?

I'm kinda thinking of doing a Form 1 can to use on a 17WSM Pdog gun, so it wouldnt get tons of use every year in that scenario...but I also dont want to ruin the sound suppression by having too much volume if that's even possible?
I have used my specter 2 on 17wsm without issue. I think any of them rated for 5.7 you’d be fine with. And maybe save yourself a little weight versus going with a 556 can.

TulsaMike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

https://deadairsilencers.com/products/mask/Shows the 22 can is rated for 17wsm, and most 22 cans are fine for things like that or even 5.7x28 out of a rifle, which is pretty quick as well. As others have said, the worst thing about a 5.56 can is they tend to be welded and made completely of steel, inconel, and other heavier metals to withstand the higher velocities of 5.56 rounds. The 22 cans tend to be aluminum body, and therefore significantly lighter, and can also be torn down for cleaning. If your pocketbook isn’t hurting, get both as the 22 cans are usually quite cheap, where as decent 5.56 cans are about twice the price. As a surefire fanboy, all my cans are very expensive, but if I had a light weight small caliber like yours, I’d prob buy a dedicated 22 can for it that can also go on other 22s in case I got an ar platform in 22lr or something.
One other thing to consider, most 22 cans are direct thread, where as most 5.56 use a muzzle device. Not a huge cost, but an extra $80+ per weapon you use them on unless you get a direct thread 5.56, but that means leaving muzzle devices off your rifles when not in use, and I use my 5.56 cans on a few different rifles, which I also shoot unsuppressed at times, so I want muzzle devices on all of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom