Too old to hot rod!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 75 years old, and have had several hobbies that I got too old to pursue. I started watching car shows on TV, and decided that would be something my wife and I could still do, ride around, and look cool! I found what I was looking for in Kansas, A 1931 Ford Coupe, that was restored in 1989 but still looked good, This car made the cover of Hot Rod Magazine back in the 90's, and only needed minor upgrades, like replacing the 34 year old tires. We went to look planning to make an offer, and on the test drive I wanted to get it warmed up good, and stop and check for leaks. I pulled over on a wide shoulder, to check for leaks, this car was smaller than I remembered, and I had to literally crawl in, and out. While getting out, I somehow fell backward into the outside traffic lane on my back. Luckily there was no traffic in this lane at that moment, so I crawled over and got my hat, and glasses, then had to crawl back over to the car to be able to get up. Needless to say traffic was stopping etc. I about half expect to see this show up on YouTube! It occured to me while crawling around in the road, that I could be a little too old to take up this hobby! I told my wife this would have made A GREAT OBITUARY, "75 year old man run over by concrete truck after falling out of hot rod!"

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 75 years old, and have had several hobbies that I got too old to pursue. I started watching car shows on TV, and decided that would be something my wife and I could still do, ride around, and look cool! I found what I was looking for in Kansas, A 1931 Ford Coupe, that was restored in 1989 but still looked good, This car made the cover of Hot Rod Magazine back in the 90's, and only needed minor upgrades, like replacing the 34 year old tires. We went to look planning to make an offer, and on the test drive I wanted to get it warmed up good, and stop and check for leaks. I pulled over on a wide shoulder, to check for leaks, this car was smaller than I remembered, and I had to literally crawl in, and out. While getting out, I somehow fell backward into the outside traffic lane on my back. Luckily there was no traffic in this lane at that moment, so I crawled over and got my hat, and glasses, then had to crawl back over to the car to be able to get up. Needless to say traffic was stopping etc. I about half expect to see this show up on YouTube! It occured to me while crawling around in the road, that I could be a little too old to take up this hobby! I told my wife this would have made A GREAT OBITUARY, "75 year old man run over by concrete truck after falling out of hot rod!"
Perhaps, a larger hot rod? Maybe and old GTO or a Charger, or even a Mustang something easier to get in and out of?

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of old hot rodders with their power wheel chairs in a trailer! I like the old early 30's ford body style, I'm now looking at sedans instead of coupes.
Yeah maybe a Galaxy ….. lol that you can get in and out of easily and sleep in it should things continue to go south :laugh6:

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah maybe a Galaxy ….. lol that you can get in and out of easily and sleep in it should things continue to go south :laugh6:
Back in the 60's I had a '63 Plymouth Sport Fury, 383, 4 speed, the bucket seats had been modified by the Doctor that bouhht it new, so thay would both lay back and make a full size bed. I didn't use this to sleep then but could now!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
T Bird for the win.
1635361288648.png

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle still circle track raced in his 70's and won no less.

My camshaft grinder buddy is 71 and is building himself another hot rod.
It is not a too old thing but a too out of shape thing that will keep you out of the game.

In shape Jack LaLanne here for sure.
70th birthday. LaLanne, handcuffed and shackled, fought through strong winds and currents to swim 1½ miles while towing 70 boats and 70 people across the Long Beach, Calif., Harbor. And at age 88, he celebrated earning a place on Hollywood’s Walk-of-Fame by getting down on all fours and doing push-ups on his golden star.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 60's I had a '63 Plymouth Sport Fury, 383, 4 speed, the bucket seats had been modified by the Doctor that bouhht it new, so thay would both lay back and make a full size bed. I didn't use this to sleep then but could now!
I think the Wedge was what you really wanted back then :)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a 17 year old I fell asleep driving my 1939 Chevy coupe and ran into the rear end of a 1953 Packard. The Packard was none the worse for wear but the Chevy coupe was totaled. I'm now 77 years old and in recent years I've been looking for replacement for that '39 Chevy and I thin I'd look out of character if I were to be seen driving a 1929 Chevy coupe so I'm officially giving up the search.

Latest posts

Top Bottom