Too plain AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOTOGUY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the stock have a rubber butt pad on it? I put a cushioned version on my AR chambered for .50 Beowulf, and it helps quite a bit.

But yeah, why is the rear sight so far forward? Did you have a big-butt scope mounted at one point?

Yes, it has a rubber butt pad. I mistakenly put the back sight up too far because when I first put it on I didn't know how. :)

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I attempted to put the rear sight further back, but when it didn't slide on easily I moved it up. I will try it again. Now, why do you say the buttstock is junk? Also, instead of a vertical grip, what would you use? Thanks for your help!

Vertical grips are just something hanging down that can get snagged on stuff.
It's a handguard, use it as a handguard.

The buttstock is junk because it's a cheap peice of **** made in China by a 12 year old prostitute. There's a Magpul STR on here for $40 which would be a vast improvement.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the looks of it other than the vertical grip and the rear sight being too far forward. Maybe change the buttstock to a Magpul CTR.

I also like the longer handguards. Too much barrel past the handguard looks weird to me.

Last edited:

GOTOGUY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the looks of it other than the vertical grip and the rear sight being to far forward. Maybe change the buttstock to a Magpul CTR.

I also like the longer handguards. Too much barrel past the handguard looks weird to me.

Yeah, I tried to get used to the vertical grip...thought it was the best way to go. I see the point of getting it hung up on things and it's just extra junk on the rifle that's not needed.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my rifles to work AND to be aesthetically pleasing. Here are the things I would do, personally, to that rifle:

1. Replace trigger guard. Send me your address and I will ship you one I've got sitting that hasn't been used. It's either a Seekins billet or something else, but personally, I've found simply changing the trigger guard alone really does make it look much better. I don't know why, just the flat trigger guard seems very 70s to me, I can't stand them.

2. Lose the vertical grip, yes. If you want to put on an angled foregrip, they do look nicer (IMO), but also not overly functional - I just don't use them much, I pretty much stick to the handguards.

3. Shorten the handguard - with the one you've got, you could likely trade it for a shorter one, or buy a slightly shorter one and sell that one, with minimal cost. Probably discount that one $20-30 and it'll sell. I don't really mind the handguard covering most of the barrel, but some do like a couple of inches of barrel - they think it looks stubby or something with the longer handguard.

4. Change the flash hider. Another minimal-cost improvement that aesthetically changes a lot, I think. Choosing something like YHM Phantom or Annihilator makes a big difference for around $30-35. Easy swap. Like the trigger guard above, birdcages scream '70's to me.

5. The buttstock is ok, but I like the cleaner lines of the Magpul versions. The CTR is usually my choice for basic rifles these days, but you can get cheap Chinese versions that look and perform extremely similar very cheaply.

You could do all this for maybe $100 out of pocket. Granted, these are all aesthetic changes, but that is what you said you want, and I make certain every rifle I build has similar things. I can't stand the basic stock look of most of them. Just me, but I like a few little bells and whistles and I think it makes them look much much nicer.

Take a bone-stock pickup, slap some aftermarket wheels on it, debadge it, tint the windows, add a tinted bug shield on the hood and some tinted window rain guards and the thing looks like a whole different vehicle, right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom