Took a Stolen Gun on Trade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache 46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shadow rider….My thoughts exactly on reporting it stolen. Who know that guy most likely had nothing to do with it. I appreciate the thoughts/comments. I’ll just chalk it up as a learning objective.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put it up for sale on armslist. I provided pics to a guy that requested them. Then the police contacted me.
That’s interesting. I had a neighbor (HP Trooper) that I asked if he could run one to check if stolen and at that time he had to have probable cause to run it. It was actually illegal for him to do so otherwise.

I wonder how the PD caught it?

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Farmer….no sir. It was a Sig.
Well shucks, hoping to one day get it back.
But what happened to you sucks worse, I would be pretty upset under those conditions. It's basically like it was stolen from you by loosing a gun in the deal.

I know mine was just a Taurus but it was the most accurate 1911 I ever shot.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who knows. Said the guy that contacted me to buy it, was a cop. He ran the sn number. When he saw it was reported stolen he contacted the detective. Either way. I don’t have it any longer and hope that the original owner gets it back at some point.
Owner probably will get it back, FWIW.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it'd be right to report your original trade as stolen, but I have another question...

Do you have no choice in keeping the firearm? If it is reported as stolen and you can prove that you purchased it legally from a private party, why should you be the one to pay the price?

Latest posts

Top Bottom