Took a Stolen Gun on Trade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn't you take the seller / trader to small claims court for selling you a stolen gun that you had to surrender to LE? If you have a FFL you could take the loss on your taxes.
that would be pretty bad considering the trader probably didn't know either

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it'd be right to report your original trade as stolen, but I have another question...

Do you have no choice in keeping the firearm? If it is reported as stolen and you can prove that you purchased it legally from a private party, why should you be the one to pay the price?

Nope, you have no right.

I had one stolen. Reported it.
Hood rat used it in convenience store robbery. Got caught.

I was notified. Told gun was evidence, until after trial.

I called PD, after trial. My gun had DISAPPEARED from evidence locker.

28 years ago, haven't got it back.

I would report as stolen as fraud.

Don't show s/n in pics.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the only way to get any satisfaction would be if they had already caught the guy for theft or robbery and were just rounding up the firearms then you might get restitution from the courts.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it'd be right to report your original trade as stolen, but I have another question...

Do you have no choice in keeping the firearm? If it is reported as stolen and you can prove that you purchased it legally from a private party, why should you be the one to pay the price?

Are you serious?

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whether I'm selling or buying, I always use a bill of sale. I've only had one person back out of a deal when they heard that.

In my ad, I'll also state that I have to see the buyer's/seller's driver's license. Not to record anything, but just to make sure 1) they're residents of OK and 2) they are who they say they are.

Then the bill of sale will state the make, model and SN of the firearm, along with purchase price and names of both buyer and seller.

When I do a deal, it's my way or the highway. That protocol is not foolproof, but it seems to be the safest way to do it.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whether I'm selling or buying, I always use a bill of sale. I've only had one person back out of a deal when they heard that.

In my ad, I'll also state that I have to see the buyer's/seller's driver's license. Not to record anything, but just to make sure 1) they're residents of OK and 2) they are who they say they are.

Then the bill of sale will state the make, model and SN of the firearm, along with purchase price and names of both buyer and seller.

When I do a deal, it's my way or the highway. That protocol is not foolproof, but it seems to be the safest way to do it.

I would chose the Highway.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Im thinking the same too many things too go wrong. protect yourself . always another gun if the person doesn't like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom