Took a Stolen Gun on Trade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would chose the Highway.
4k5.gif

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're a victim of theft by deception

Theft by deception is the act of stealing from another person under false pretenses. This kind of crime is often deliberate, as it is a manipulative way of gaining control of a person's assets, property, or finances by the culprit falsely representing themselves, value, and their intentions.
That assumes the person that he traded with knew or had reason to believe they were trading a stolen firearm.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the days I was in LE I was approached many times about checking serial numbers for guns, video games etc. I even had a few owners of new (to them) cars who wanted me to search them and check for hidden drugs and weapons.

It was no big deal. I did advise them that if the item had been reported stolen that I would have to make a report and seize the item. Also, that there was little chance that they would get their money back.

IIRC there have been some recent changes in Title 21 about pawned property. The pawn shop owners protection act, I think?

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m all for bill of sales for individuals I’ve never dealt with….you get all their info, you see what they drive, you can verify and if they say no, you walk…I like to hit them with the paperwork like Chris Hansen on to Catch a Predator, I’ve never had anyone refuse. Verify, Verify, Verify!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC there have been some recent changes in Title 21 about pawned property. The pawn shop owners protection act, I think?
Back in ‘89 or ‘90, some jake-legged peckerwoods broke into my folks’ house and stole a bunch of stuff, including a couple of guns that pretty much only had sentimental value. One of them showed up in a pawn shop in MWC, but to get it back, my dad would’ve had to have bought it back from the pawn shop because, under Oklahoma law, they “had a financial interest in it.”

To say that my dad was PO’d would be an understatement. He didn’t particularly care for pawn shops before, but he really hated them after that little affair.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in ‘89 or ‘90, some jake-legged peckerwoods broke into my folks’ house and stole a bunch of stuff, including a couple of guns that pretty much only had sentimental value. One of them showed up in a pawn shop in MWC, but to get it back, my dad would’ve had to have bought it back from the pawn shop because, under Oklahoma law, they “had a financial interest in it.”

To say that my dad was PO’d would be an understatement. He didn’t particularly care for pawn shops before, but he really hated them after that little affair.

Sadly, the laws protect everyone but the victim these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom