Took The Boy to the Murrah Bldg memorial today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
He'll be 9 in a couple weeks. I took him last year and we just walked the reflecting pool and wandered through the chairs, talked about what all happened, talked about the big chairs and little chairs, etc.

Today we went back, took the whole family including the 20-year niece who's in college. She's not American, so didn't really grow up with the whole OKC bombing thing, didn't know a whole lot about it.

It was an eye-opener. My son sat and watched some of the video footage of the survivors talking about their moments after the bomb, especially the parents frantically looking for their children... Baylee Almon's mom and such. He was pretty touched by it. We made it through the 3rd floor and he asked if we could go. I think he was a little overwhelmed by it, but also we had been there quite a while, doing the whole reflecting pool, glass chairs, Survivor Tree stuff all over again, too. I just want to make sure he understands the whole event and it really seems something personal, happening in Oklahoma, killing children, etc. I know it won't ever feel as personal to him as it does to me (it was the most outstanding event that has shaped the rest of my life and career to date), but it seems to have made an impact. Also took him to visit the Oklahoma State Capital Building.

He asked why Timothy McVeigh did it and I was kind of hard-pressed to give him a good answer he would understand. I told him that he was mad at the government for a lot of different things. He just couldn't believe that, and he kept wandering through all the exhibits saying, "I just can't believe he would do this just because he was mad." I dunno... sometimes I think simpler would be better. <sigh>

We did get to do the Myriad Botanical Gardens and Crystal Bridge, had lunch with FamousAJ, took the family to see Godzilla in the theater one more time, and now I'm at home shopping for slings and mounts to try to get some rifles ready for all of us to do the Appleseed in Tulsa this weekend.

It was an eventful day.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tim McVeigh was mad at the government. So I tried to explain to to my son that sometimes when your're mad at the government it isn't entirely ok to murder 157 people

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The museum is both a place I want to go see, and don't want to go at the same time. My father was running late to meeting that day luckily. He would have been on the north side of the building 2nd floor had he been on time. He lost a lot of friends that day. It's hard to think about how close I was to loosing my dad at a young age. Glad you were able to take your family there, as I hear it is a wonderful museum.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was there within 10 minutes and left when they imploded it. Never have been back. But agree that it 'The memorial' should be there, but to some it will always cause pain. I should say to allot it is a constant reminder of pain.

Thanks for the invite Danny, sorry to have missed an opportunity to break bread with you and your bride, but as I texted, allow me a rain check! This hog shooting over here is fun, but the terrain is a killer compared to Oklahoma! Lol! And have met some good people at these shoots over here. See you soon!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tim McVeigh worked for the Gov. Most dont know that. He was just their Nancy an he didnt even know that. I'm not a tinfoil hatter but the FBI stepped on their dicks so bad doing a cover up, it was obvious.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He'll be 9 in a couple weeks. I took him last year and we just walked the reflecting pool and wandered through the chairs, talked about what all happened, talked about the big chairs and little chairs, etc.

Today we went back, took the whole family including the 20-year niece who's in college. She's not American, so didn't really grow up with the whole OKC bombing thing, didn't know a whole lot about it.

It was an eye-opener. My son sat and watched some of the video footage of the survivors talking about their moments after the bomb, especially the parents frantically looking for their children... Baylee Almon's mom and such. He was pretty touched by it. We made it through the 3rd floor and he asked if we could go. I think he was a little overwhelmed by it, but also we had been there quite a while, doing the whole reflecting pool, glass chairs, Survivor Tree stuff all over again, too. I just want to make sure he understands the whole event and it really seems something personal, happening in Oklahoma, killing children, etc. I know it won't ever feel as personal to him as it does to me (it was the most outstanding event that has shaped the rest of my life and career to date), but it seems to have made an impact. Also took him to visit the Oklahoma State Capital Building.

He asked why Timothy McVeigh did it and I was kind of hard-pressed to give him a good answer he would understand. I told him that he was mad at the government for a lot of different things. He just couldn't believe that, and he kept wandering through all the exhibits saying, "I just can't believe he would do this just because he was mad." I dunno... sometimes I think simpler would be better. <sigh>

We did get to do the Myriad Botanical Gardens and Crystal Bridge, had lunch with FamousAJ, took the family to see Godzilla in the theater one more time, and now I'm at home shopping for slings and mounts to try to get some rifles ready for all of us to do the Appleseed in Tulsa this weekend.

It was an eventful day.

You're an outstanding Dad. Wish I could be at the Appleseed to shake your hand.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kudu's for taking the family there. Never let them forget what happened there and why.

I've made it as far as looking over the wall at the reflecting pool and the chairs. It would be rough looking at the names.

The 3rd floor of the inside is rough... sitting in a conference room listening to the recording of the beginning of the meeting of the water resources board, then hearing the explosion and going into the next room with all the rubble and personal belongings, media coverage blaring on TVs, etc.... it was tough.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was never able to make myself go. I remember looking up at the rubble and seeing a suit coat on its hanger and hanging on a coat rack. That was all the way to either the top floor or the one just below. It really brought it home that whomever that coat belonged to was likely killed in the blast.

I also remember watching the guy come down the ladder on the fire truck in what I'd call a "duck crawl" (facing up with his hands and feet under him, but looking at the fireman) and remembering later that someone said he was afraid of heights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom