Tool less buttpad removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been pondering over this for a while trying to think of a way to do it and have not come up with a very easy solution. Lots of newer guns have synthetic stocks that are hollow and it seems like that is a whole lot of wasted space that could be used for storage of random stuff. The gun they got me thinking about it is a Ruger american. It sure seems like you could stuff another mag or two in there and some other supplies of your choosing and always have backups if you wanted to use that as a go-to-type gun. The problem is the screws are a pain in the ass to get out to get the butt pad off, it's not very quick, and it requires tools. I am not talking about access like a tactical reload type deal, but definitely something quicker than what it would currently take to do. So who's got some ideas for me?

The best idea I have come up with so far is to counterbore the butt pad with some pretty good size holes and use knurled thumb screws that are recessed into the butt pad.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other idea I had was to remove the butt pad all together and use a slip-on butt pad over the opening but I'm not super fond of that idea. I guess maybe if somebody made one that fit very nicely it could work.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some time back(many years i beleive) I seem to remember a gun that came out with a hinged buttplate with a push button release on the side of the stock that did just that for that purpose but for the life of me cant remember what gun it was.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there are some that open and I tried googling it to see what their mechanism was like but all I could come up with was M14 butt plates that have the flap that goes up.

I toyed with the idea of trying to fabricate my own but I don't think I could get it to come out the way I would want it without it looking like a hack job.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One other idea I had was to remove the butt pad all together and use a slip-on butt pad over the opening but I'm not super fond of that idea. I guess maybe if somebody made one that fit very nicely it could work.
on the syn stocks a sleeve that mounts to butt pad and slips inside snaps in or clips is a possibility. for wood it would be different unless you mortise it out.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M16 A2 fixed stock has a trapdoor in the butt with a little spring loaded latch, intended for carrying a cleaning kit I believe.
The British Lee Enfield has a little round hole in the butt plate the opens, it's held closed with a flat spring I think. (You can see the flat head screw that holds the stock on, when you open it and shine a light in there.)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about a slide on with options for an end cap or a cushion? Lock it i place with a simple spring loaded internal push button or a magazine type mechanism. Just a quickie sketch of what I'm talking about. You could even adjust it for different shooters, ie youth vs adult.
You could manufacture it as a two piece unit to attach to the rifle stock via the regular screws and use the commercial buttstock extension screws to the second half.

We can now make millions$$$
Simple.

1653450592657.png

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M16 A2 fixed stock has a trapdoor in the butt with a little spring loaded latch, intended for carrying a cleaning kit I believe.
Yep, the A2 stock has a trapdoor for a cleaning kit. The Garand also has one. It used to be a common (or, at least not uncommon) feature of military rifles.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think a few neodymium magnets epoxied to both sides would be sufficient. Those suckers are tough to pull apart without sliding! Unless ya plan on knocking a few heads with the buttstock! Lol
Magnets
You know some magnets with some sort of recessed locating pin may just be the ticket. If you had locating pins it would also help keep it from being bumped and sliding off, and the magnets would keep it attached.

Latest posts

Top Bottom