Tools on the road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a tool bag that is designed more for carpentry than mechanics tools.

It has a 1/2 and 3/8 socket sets, a minimum set of wrenches, wire cutters, pliers, screwdrivers, and a tire plug kit.

I’m adding and replacing some of my stuff with a full set of sae and metric wrenches and a full socket set with standard and deep sockets.

I thought about using a tactical type laptop bag, since I have one already but would like a good way to carry and access the tools. I hate dumping everything out to find a wrench.

How do you carry your tools on the road?

Oh, it needs to be portable so I can move the tools from vehicle to vehicle depending on what we’re driving.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to keep a 3-drawer intermediate chest in the back of my car when I was in Texas and hanging out with "car guys" and man did it get use.
Ironically when I moved and wasn't around car guys, it wasn't needed nearly as much.

Now I just keep one of those 156pc Craftsman kits with a few extras in it in the rear underfloor storage. You can do LOTS with one of those kits.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wrenches I would get something like this

B36C50A0-6AC3-4A2A-B794-A8E506F70A87.png

For the sockets there are a multitude of choices to fit roughly what you have

8CAE29DF-6673-4D34-8E53-A15EE7CB8AA9.png

For the small bits I have put together little “kits” all your electric tools in one little bag for example. Screw drivers in another.

531E6D79-00BD-47B7-B837-13316A206050.png

As for the bag, I will be watching for others suggestions. Ones I buy only last about a year or two before the bottoms blow out.
Gota be a tough bag to hold 50 pounds of steel and get thrown around.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here’s what I carry:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/1000596457
For the money, you can’t beat it.

I also keep 3-4 Klein Canvas bags like these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...live-Orange-Blue-Yellow-4-Pack-5140/100647867
In bag one I keep pliers, a trim removal tool, and a few assorted screwdrivers.

Bag two is where a pair of sturdy scissors, a small roll of gasket paper, a tube of jbweld, electrical tape, zip ties, and a few hose lamps live.

Bag 3 has a pair of mechanics gloves and a few rags

Bag 4 typically has tire plugs/patches in it and their associated tools.

I also keep a bag with a small air compressor, a bottle of brake clean, tire spoon floating around in the toolbox and a long handle ratchet for lugs.

This is typically overkill, but it works for anything and everything I run across, and typically will allow me to get home in one piece.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here’s what I carry:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/1000596457
For the money, you can’t beat it.

I also keep 3-4 Klein Canvas bags like these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...live-Orange-Blue-Yellow-4-Pack-5140/100647867
In bag one I keep pliers, a trim removal tool, and a few assorted screwdrivers.

Bag two is where a pair of sturdy scissors, a small roll of gasket paper, a tube of jbweld, electrical tape, zip ties, and a few hose lamps live.

Bag 3 has a pair of mechanics gloves and a few rags

Bag 4 typically has tire plugs/patches in it and their associated tools.

I also keep a bag with a small air compressor, a bottle of brake clean, tire spoon floating around in the toolbox and a long handle ratchet for lugs.

This is typically overkill, but it works for anything and everything I run across, and typically will allow me to get home in one piece.
Dang, this is more in line with what I was thinking, except never thought about gasket material, brake klean or some of the other stuff listed. And I would like all the tools in a bag that I can grab quick, but that may not be possible.

I have a couple other bags that I keep in my Jeep, move to the truck when I drive it or the wife’s 4Runner when I drive that. The Jeep and truck have winches, the 4Runner doesn’t. One large bag has all sorts of off-road recovery gear, tow and recovery straps, D rings, snatch blocks, tree savers. The other bags has my Milwaukee impact and lug nut sockets, air compressor and a battery jump starter. The Jeep has a CO2 tank mounted to the cage that can be used to air up tire. That runs my lockers.

I think I need to expand the scope of my list after seeing these posts.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t do this but I have heard that a pair of pantyhose can be used as an emergency belt for automobiles to get you further down the road to get to an auto parts store.

Never tried it, but it would be awesome if it works. I have the same set as shared above with both metric and standard tools and I do not get into it at home until I’m desperate and always put the tool back in the case if I break it out. Mine is made by Crescent tools, best Dirty Santa present ever!

Latest posts

Top Bottom