Tools on the road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good suggestions. I find my vehicle tool kit gets used on other people’s vehicles more than my own.

Some radiator stop leak, radiator/heater hose repairs and clamps extra fuses and relays, baling wire… the list could go on.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic, I've had it pop up for many years. It's always interesting and fun and motivational.

The only problem is, pretty soon you get a list so long you might as well start driving a one ton or larger Service Truck to carry it all around.

Anyway, lots of good suggestions above.

I'll add, based on experience, a pair of leather gloves for protection of rough stuff, and some of the latex-whatchamacallit disposable mechanics gloves to keep your hands clean, as well as a small bottle of Waterless Hand Cleaner. I also recommend a few red mechanics shop rags, and I really like to have a roll of the Blue Scott's Brand Shop Towels, they are far superior to regular paper towels.

And, as I've become older, I make darn sure I have my AAA card, Credit Card and a few hundred $$$ in cash, and a fully charged cell phone with charger.

Oh, yeah, and one more (like I said, the list just grows and grows) a good flashlight and one of those headlamp lights so you have light anywhere you look.

Some reflective stuff, cuz if you break down on the busy highway they'll zip by you 2 feet away at 80MPH and scare the crap out of ya.

Oh yeah, one more thing (see how these lists grow?} dang it, keep a paper map/atlas in the stinkin' glovebox. Your stupid cell phone or GPS may not be working, or give you the bigger picture, etc.

Oh yeah, I never let my gas tank get below half, and often fill up when it's dropped down to 3/4 full. But hey, that's just me.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here’s what I carry:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/1000596457
For the money, you can’t beat it.

I also keep 3-4 Klein Canvas bags like these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...live-Orange-Blue-Yellow-4-Pack-5140/100647867
In bag one I keep pliers, a trim removal tool, and a few assorted screwdrivers.

Bag two is where a pair of sturdy scissors, a small roll of gasket paper, a tube of jbweld, electrical tape, zip ties, and a few hose lamps live.

Bag 3 has a pair of mechanics gloves and a few rags

Bag 4 typically has tire plugs/patches in it and their associated tools.

I also keep a bag with a small air compressor, a bottle of brake clean, tire spoon floating around in the toolbox and a long handle ratchet for lugs.

This is typically overkill, but it works for anything and everything I run across, and typically will allow me to get home in one piece.

That is not overkill at all in my opinion! Every thing I head out of town with is loaded out with tools. I have rebuilt a lift pump on a Duramax in Lamar Co. When younger in my 20’s I have pulled a 3 speed Turbo 350 transmission and had it rebuilt when traveling. I am old now, but still go hard loaded.

We recently have been traveling in a Class C and it too has way to many tools in it. But in my defense, it also tows a Jeep! I think a guy owes it to his family finances if a alternator, starter, belts and hoses should be self installed when away from home. When he physically can still wrench. Do it now while your young, save the money to pay when your OLD! LOL!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The tool bag is up to 51.4 lbs.

2D4F628B-89E5-45F8-B5EC-C88E1FC8656E.jpeg

Combination Wrench Set, 30-Piece (1/4-1 in., 8-22 mm) TEKTON Combination Wrench Set, 30-Piece (1/4-1 in., 8-22 mm) - Pouch | 90192

3/8 Inch Drive 6-Point Socket and Ratchet Set, 47-Piece (5/16-3/4 in., 8-19 mm)​

1667603576226.png

1667603878399.png
1667603956344.png
1667604036031.png

C4967C67-F2B0-46C0-A0E4-EB3554392643.jpeg

1667604295659.jpeg

1667604508361.png

1/2 in. Drive Metric Impact Deep Socket Set, 13 Piece​

In a second bag, I have a M18 impact gun, air compressor, jump starter.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You forgot the Cuss Jar.
Mine would have all kinds of money in it. I'd have money for a deluxe steak meal and more tools.

Can’t wrench without some colorful language.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom