Top Gun Maverick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife doesn't care to go to movies, so every few years one comes up that I go see by myself. Went to this one. Liked it and would see it again. However, wouldn't the modern military just use missiles to do what the jets did in this one? Is is possible to eject at 10gs? I loved the flying scenes.
I watched C.W. "Mover" Lemoine and T.R. "WOMBAT" Matson talking about it on Mover's YouTube channel (both Mover and WOMBAT flew Hornets in the Navy). They both liked it, but WOMBAT said there were several times when he started thinking that wasn't the way they'd do it, but reminded himself that it's entertainment, not a documentary. I think it was WOMBAT who said they'd probably lob missiles at it, but if you do that, there's no movie.

If the 10g ejection is from the beginning of the movie, Mover said he'd be "pink mist" dead.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took the wife to see Top Gun Maverick tonight.
It was awesome. Predictable but awesome.
It did stay pretty true to the original Top Gun and picked up 30 years later. If you liked the original Top Gun, you will like Too Gun Maverick.
IMHO

View attachment 275810
I saw opening day. The wife and I really enjoyed it. Probably one of the better movies I’ve seen in a long time. It’s been so long since I’ve seen the original I don’t really remember anything from it. But that was like 30+ years ago. I’d give it a five star rating.

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a theory going around the net that Maverick died when he ejected at 10g and the rest of the movie is his life flashing through his mind how he wished it would end before he died.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think he ejected because his commander told him about getting re-assigned and commented that maverick left him with a plane with so much frame damage it was useless. from that comment he must have landed safely and then walked into town. anyway that's what I remember.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember right didn't the space shuttles have an escape pod? Seems I remember them saying the challenger crew didn't have time to use it but it was available. I would think a hypersonic craft would have something similar.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hitting the air at that speed would be like concrete. The altitude and temp would compound the problems.
Andy Stumpf (or maybe it was the guys at the Medevac Podcast) recently interviewed a USN Hornet pilot who ejected at just under Mach 1. It messed him up pretty badly, to the point if the North Atlantic hadn't made him go hypothermic, he would've bled out before the SAR bird could get to him. He described the wounds resulting from his ejection, and let's just say that they're not for the squeamish...

Latest posts

Top Bottom