Toughness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Physical and mental toughness are important goals. Unless you try you won't learn your limits. And once you try and keep trying your limits will increase....some new skills will probably creep in as well.
Am I right that this is the missing element for most people in modern life? If so, what can we do to reintroduce it to people?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've made the world so safe that an entire generation of Americans doesn't realize how prosperous they actually are. The lack of toughness is simply a side effect of generations after generation wanting more for their kids. It's not wrong, but it's the side effect.

Quick fix... Kill the web, start WWIII

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Physical and mental toughness are important goals. Unless you try you won't learn your limits. And once you try and keep trying your limits will increase....some new skills will probably creep in as well.
Am I right that this is the missing element for most people in modern life? If so, what can we do to reintroduce it to people?
Competition. End the nightmare of participation trophies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most can't get off their recliner to do anything but eat.
It's amazing how being overweight will sap your internal and external strength. Age can be a small factor, but I know some 80 years olds that do nothing more than sit in a chair and lift 5lb weights dozens of times as their daily workout because they cant walk. Others walk or ride bicycles.
Nothing will extend your lifespan more than physical activity and a balanced diet.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The movie WallE predicted this years ago lol sadly

Wall-E obese humans - cropped.jpg

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's amazing how being overweight will sap your internal and external strength. Age can be a small factor, but I know some 80 years olds that do nothing more than sit in a chair and lift 5lb weights dozens of times as their daily workout because they cant walk. Others walk or ride bicycles.
Nothing will extend your lifespan more than physical activity and a balanced diet.
Mileage is a BIG factor

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I keep a 5lb weight on my desk and on good days walk the neighborhood. Some days I use the ski machine or recumbent bike. I still fight to lose weight. Does not help that some of my meds can make people gain weight.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eliminate al the "safety nets" that we have allowed to be constructed in the name of compassion. There are few consequences for bad choices these days, and stupid, selfish behavior is tolerated and even rewarded.

Men have determined that eating bacon and watching television sports are manly, worthwhile activities and have substituted participation with observation. The reward of a satisfying plate of meat and fat is easy to obtain, without the effort required by a hunter or farmer.

Women are entitled and have been deemed beautiful creatures regardless of how much they physically deteriorate from inactivity and overeating. Have a bunch of bastard children? Taxpayers will gladly foot the bill.

Should someone be so practical as to suggest a physical intervention to reduce the burden on society, that person is deemed the problem, not the parasitic child bearer.

I have zero doubt that our coming economic collapse will straighten many of these deviant actions out, but it won't be fun. It'll make the ones that are left tougher, though.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Physical toughness might be achieved with mandatory PE in first thru twelfth grades. Throw in team challenges with both winner/looser.

Mental toughness, no one does it better than the military. In boot camp, I witnessed a very physically fit young man that had been broken mentally. I was assigned to watch him during mess and maintenance duty in the squad bay. He was completely broken and did a lot of sitting on his footlocker sobbing and wanting to go home to his mother. The Marine Corps eventually obliged him. No one that I'm aware of felt sorry for him. We looked at him as basically a pu**y.

Latest posts

Top Bottom