Tower maintenance (climbing a 1768 ft tall tower)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember when Kevin Ogle, from news channel 4 here in OKC, lost the bet between OU and OSU and had to climb the TV towers we have here by my house on Britton that measure 1576', I believe.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I used to do a similar job, what you don't realize is that tower moves 6' to 10' when the wind is blowing. It makes six flags seem like a joke when you do work like that.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. Not a chance. Not even joking would I think of doing that.

got not only my palms sweating but my feet as well.

Those guys clang when they walk.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"America's most lethal job is on cell towers. Workers' accident rate is higher than that of loggers, miners or offshore fishermen. According to statistics cobbled together by industry groups, 10 workers died in 2004, 48 in 2005, 18 in 2006, and eight so far in 2007. Some workers fell 80 feet to their deaths; some fell 1,100 feet, about twice the height of Tampa's tallest skyscrapers, likely reaching 125 mph."

That came from an old article. I know from being in the Industry that 2008 & 2009 were also bad years. I don't care what it pays it won't make up for your kids not having a father. And believe me, there are lots of guys out there willing to do it for less than $20/hr so it's not like you're gonna get rich doing it either.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked hi-rise construction when I was much younger.
Today I'd have to spend my whole vacation just to climb that tall.
Then I'd need a helecopter to fly me back down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom