Tower maintenance (climbing a 1768 ft tall tower)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get the honors to work on the stacks at our power plant on epa stuff. Not near that high, but they sure move in the wind. Don't think I'd care for the 1700 ft tower.
I wouldn't be into the free climbing, but one of the construction guys that put up a new stack safety system for us to tie onto, didn't use anything.
He said that if he fell, and was tied off, he'd die before anybody could get to him from loss of blood circulation in about 15 minutes. Falling, he would only have to think about it for 10 seconds.

Oklahoma Stronghold

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made me a little woozy just watching it! My hands and legs were tightening up a bit!
What about getting up there and then a stomach bug hitting you! I guess it would be really bad for his partner!

greyBeered

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so how much does this gig pay??

From the intertubes

"It depends on where you are: prices vary widely by geography. My antenna installation outfit here in Ohio charges about $60 per man per hour on the job. That's relatively cheap. I've run into tower jockeys that charge a $1 to $2 per foot just to climb, then another $75-$100 per hour on top of that."

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kept coming back here to leave a comment on the video, but every time I think of it my hands start pouring out sweat. Those dudes have some large cojones.

Latest posts

Top Bottom