Tower maintenance (climbing a 1768 ft tall tower)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Favorited. AWESOME. But that narrator was worried about a little storm. Theoretically, What happened to the guy climbing on May 3rd, 1999? Did they find him in Alabama? Cus Im pretty sure he wouldnt just fall for 10 seconds.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The entire time i watched it, I was only worried about his grip and his gloves. I don't like those gloves cause they slip around on my hands.
I'm not afraid of heights at all, so that didn't bother me. I think it would be cool as he!!. I like the parachute idea as well. Just don't hit one of those tension wires on the way down.
I was one of those kids that got busted for climbing up an oil derrick when I was 11. I think I got my a$$ wore out four or five times over that one.

It would sure wear my butt out climbing up there nowadays. I'd have to stay a couple of days so I could gather enough strength for a descent.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one point the anouncer said "His partner holds his tool bag to keep it from swinging around". I thought that was pretty funny.

I have never climbed anything that tall or free climbed anything like that. I have worked on wind turbines in Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. The most I have had to climb in one day was about 1,000ft which was 3.5 turbines that day. I didn't have no stinkin elevator and it wore me smooth out. I do have to give super kudos to those guys for free climbing at 1,600 ft. I think I could do it, but it would be kinda spooky those first couple of times.

HVYCHVY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to do a similar job, what you don't realize is that tower moves 6' to 10' when the wind is blowing. It makes six flags seem like a joke when you do work like that.

Heck yeah, even the towers you see at refinery and power plants sway in the wind a few feet each way. The highest tower I've climbed was about 350feet, which kicked my butt, but the worse part was having to pull our equipment up at the same time. We'd climb 60-70 feet to a platform throw a rope down then pull up our source (65 lbs), then drop the rope back down to pull up our 35' cranks, guide tube and bucket of film, another 50-60 lbs.

bigken

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. I don't even like going up to the roof of my house. I couldn't even imagine doing something like this. I felt like I was going to get sick just watching this. Every time he looked down made me so nervous.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i did it, i got $48 per hour and no it's not enough. finally quit the cell tower biz all togeather in july and don't miss it at all

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The vid has been pulled due to copyright. I'm glad I watched it this morning! Whe I was in Parachute Rigger school, they told us it's not the fall that kills you, it's the bounce...:doh:
And I thought "Ice Road Truckers" was ballsy...:punch:

Latest posts

Top Bottom