Tractor Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, we are under contract to purchase a home on 45 acres in the Bristow area. The sellers have a nearly new (still has the rubber nipples on the tires) 2019 Kubota L2501 with front loader, brush grapple and bale spear. Will try to negotiate a separate deal aside from the home on the Kubota and DR 34 ton Log Splitter he has. Seems willing to do it but thinking he's going to want top dollar for his machine. It has the HST transmission. On this size tractor it the HST reliable and do what it's supposed to do? I guess I'm asking if I forgo his Kubota and purchase a new tractor from a dealer do I get the HST or Shuttle trans? Which is better, more stout or better performance and longevity?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot depends on what you're gonna do with the tractor. Lots of loader work? Or more just endless mowing of grass and such? If you do anything with lots of back and forth you'll quickly appreciate the HST. If you're just setting the cruise and driving the shuttle is probably OK.

I've had both and I wouldn't have another tractor that didn't have an HST. It's nice to just press the pedal for more power without having to worry about what gear you're in or need for a particular job. I used my loader a LOT...I feel in love with the HST on my JD 2038R. Wish I hadn't had to sell that when I moved here. I'm about to need it again for the new place...if we ever close.

Congrats on the new place, too.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the hst is a good reliable transmission. if you purchase this tractor and service it be sure to use the Kubota Super udt oil only in the transmission. i have a kubota mx5100 with the standard transmission that has the forward reverse lever that works flawlessly also. but remember the forward reverse lever on this tractor isn't a shuttle. you have to clutch the tractor to shift from forward to reverse.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Will be used for a lot of mowing and other cleanup, chores, food plots, etc, etc. Would be getting a set of pallet forks (has QD front with hydraulics) and a rotory mower for it or whatever i get. I jsut didn't know if the HST was good for mowing or if it holds up to moving dirt, debris and materials, etc.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say let the guy price the tractor, but I would bet he’s going to want all the money out of it. I have Kubotas with both glide shift transmission and hydrostat, and I like them both. I don’t buy new tractors. I look for low hour tractors that are priced right, so I don’t generally get a choice on options. If I were buying a new tractor in the 30ish HP range, it would definitely have a hydrostat transmission.

If your open to another opinion, I would recommend a minimum 40 hp or one size larger than what you think you might need. I’ve owned a bunch of tractors over the last 30 years, and my personal favorite is the 10 year old Kubota M7040 I have now. I use it for the same tasks you intend to do, and this size tractor does them with ease. Mine is 2 wd, and that’s the only thing I would change.

PM me if you want me to keep an eye out for a deal for you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of my previous tractors have been big farm stuff but since retiring bought a compact Mahindra with Front loader and so on.
If you can get a good deal with the Kubota, go for it. Great tractors with a history.
If the deal is too steep, consider looking at Mahindra. Pretty good machinery. When looking, I considered every brand made and money wasn't an object. I got sold on the Mahindra.
Not to start a what is best war, but it's what I decided on for my personal use and its gear driven. I use the front loader a lot to move material. The granny range is great to ease up to the pile of rock ultra slow under full power to get a full scoop.
The grapple attachment your looking at on the Kubota is priceless when clearing brush. If you end up not getting it, there are alternatives that work almost as well.
Discuss that when and if you need to look elsewhere.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your open to another opinion, I would recommend a minimum 40 hp or one size larger than what you think you might need.
I'll second this. Kubotas are really good tractors, and this one should be able to do a lot, but a 25 horse tractor is still kind of a lightweight. If all you're doing is some brushhogging and light cleanup and maybe light boxblading (like driveway maintenance), it'll get the job done, but a 40-50 horse tractor will do it better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll second this. Kubotas are really good tractors, and this one should be able to do a lot, but a 25 horse tractor is still kind of a lightweight. If all you're doing is some brushhogging and light cleanup and maybe light boxblading (like driveway maintenance), it'll get the job done, but a 40-50 horse tractor will do it better.
25HP tractors are considered sub-compact. Really light weight and while they can do a lot, they can't compete with a compact size in the 35hp size or larger.
In my search for a compact model I looked at Massy Ferguson. The difference between a 30 hp and a 35 hp was about a thousand dollars. Upon research, both had the same engine, same weight, same everything. The only difference was the engine RPM. The 30 HP model was 250 rpm slower.
It appears the marketing people just raise the RPM to generate the extra 5 hp and tack on a grand.
If the OP has to buy new, always look at what a rear hydraulic system costs. It's included on Mahindra, and about a grand on New Holland, Kubota and the rest of the offerings.
Look at the total weight of the tractor. Heavier means it can perform more work.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 40+ HP tractor is preferable. The tractor you are looking at should be a fine tractor but it is rather small. Kubota is a very good brand. You can also throw LS into your search. Can you do mechanical work? An older tractor could be a good buy. Must have is a front end loader. Bucket and forks. I use a rear hay fork mostly as lifting larger bales with the front can make the rear very unstable. I have an old mower in great condition which also acts as a counterweight. Mine is small at 60 HP. Cut and bale hay with it and mow. How many acres do you really have to mow? Animals? If you are only maintaining 15 or less acres of lawn then a commercial zero turn mower will be very good and easier to use. That is how we did the 10 acre horse pasture, easier and less damaging to the ground. HST is supposed to be a nice transmission but I have never used one for work. All I have experience with is the old fashioned clutch.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my mx5100 gear drive has been a very dependable tractor and the gears and ranges are spaced really good for everything i have thrown at it. the rear end is very light so i added ballast to the rear tires and i still need more weight when i use the front forks or loader but ballast is cheap. my tractor also has a dry clutch so someday i know a new clutch will be necessary but the tractor was designed so that a split will be easy and cheap. the hst is a really good transmission but will require an oil change every year or every couple of years at least so take that cost into consideration. i agree get a bigger tractor... my neighbor has a yanmar probably 40 or 50 hp that is also a very good tractor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom