Tractor Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my brother bought an international harvester utility tractor that is a pretty nice tractor but it has the re gen exhaust on it. the re gen has cost big dollars to own because it is constantly on the blink. it isn't the muffler so much but the computer that controls all of that crap. sometimes it just won't run or start and a tech has to bring a laptop over and fix it. then if you want to delete it it costs a bunch also and i don't think that even fixes the computer issue.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread derail.

I recently bought a 2020 JD 4044m. Have only done some light work with it so far, but it did regen while I was using it. The dealership told me to never shut it off with the regen light on. My limited tractor experience has been with old simple models. Thanks for the info.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I recently bought a 2020 JD 4044m. Have only done some light work with it so far, but it did regen while I was using it. The dealership told me to never shut it off with the regen light on. My limited tractor experience has been with old simple models. Thanks for the info.
a 2020. we bought a brand new 2020 in 1965 or 66 don't remember for sure.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Search the web for owners versus John Deere. on a modern Deere you basically are buying the rights to use their machine. They own all the software and are fairly much the only place to go for repairs. The Mom and Pop Deere stores are no more. But again that is true for most equipment dealers

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As cowadle pointed out its computer. Mine regens round abouts every 50 hours and I make sure I push the allow button and regen. I was told that any bypass regens are recorded. Which means you cover your tail in case you ever have an issue. With a handle like Rawhide I'll take it you know even in light work you want to run sufficient rpms. I do very little putt putt and run 1800 or better and when doing heavy work bumped upto near 2500

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As cowadle pointed out its computer. Mine regens round abouts every 50 hours and I make sure I push the allow button and regen. I was told that any bypass regens are recorded. Which means you cover your tail in case you ever have an issue. With a handle like Rawhide I'll take it you know even in light work you want to run sufficient rpms. I do very little putt putt and run 1800 or better and when doing heavy work bumped upto near 2500
I was advised to keep the regen on auto.

My tractor experience is limited to a few old Fords and IH for brush cutting or mowing and raking hay. Although, I can hitch a team of horses to a mower, disk, plow, hay rake or wagon. Even helped my dad use a slip a few times. I'm much more experienced with horsepower from actual horses. I'm trying to educate myself on everything I can about this 21st century machine to avoid costly service from the dealer.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to educate myself on everything I can about this 21st century machine to avoid costly service from the dealer.
Might be too late for this advice, but dont buy any new tractor with the computer and regen!

But if you already did, get the service manual!

I bought a new Deere 4520 in 2005.

Part of the deal was they had to include the parts book and the service manual!

I hope you have a lifetime of trouble free service!

Side note, it would be cool to have the skills (like you do) to use horses! 👍

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom