Tractor time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont have pic wish I had came to house for camera. Was pushing mud out of water hole in creek got a little past center of creek bank. Dozer nosed over at a steep angle. Raised Lower part of motor out of water by pushing down the blade. Sawed two 4 foot long bridge boards & put them under front of tracks . Mashed them right down in the mud. Dozer would not back out of creek . Now I was getting worried . Next went got Massey 55hp 4wheel drive with loader. Dipped a bucket full mud. lined tractor up with dozer. Hooked a 20 foot log chain to them.. Backed tractor up about 10 feet put it in snail drive. Started dozer went & shifted tractor in gear . Got on dozer just as chain got tight put dozer in reverse. Rear tires dug down about 4 inches then dozer moved a little . Started slowly spinning tracks . Tractor pulled it out. Shifted dozer out of gear went and got in tractor Backed it up to put slack it chain . & put dozer & tractor back in shed.
As a late teen I used the front end loader to get me across 10 acres of boggy. Sure wasn't pleasant mowing after that.. lol the dumb things teens do.😁

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor said dont use a chain . Call him & he will come with a big 4X4 tractor & a strap & pull me out.
I have used a chain for recovery quite a few times, but it is never my first choice. I do try to lay some rubber mats or something weighted over them in case they snap so at least it will keep it close to the ground.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a big snatch strap. Never thought about it.
You also werent trying to snatch the dozer out of the mud. Abrupt applications of tension to try and bounce something out of the mud is a MUCH different load profile than letting the tractor apply a constant low tension to the chain to assist the dozer driving itself out of the mud.

I am just paranoid about heavy metal objects being loaded up with energy that could be released suddenly, haha. I have seen guys let the air out of one of their rear tires and use a strap wrapped around it as a make shift winch too. Necessity brings about a lot of creative solutions, I just try to make them as safe as possible when I do it.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also took a big bucket of dirt from behind the tracks so the angle coming out of the mud would not be so steep.PS that 5500 # tractor got 10000 dozer out of the mud. Pulling up hill. That bucket of mud went close to 2000#

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You also werent trying to snatch the dozer out of the mud. Abrupt applications of tension to try and bounce something out of the mud is a MUCH different load profile than letting the tractor apply a constant low tension to the chain to assist the dozer driving itself out of the mud.

I am just paranoid about heavy metal objects being loaded up with energy that could be released suddenly, haha. I have seen guys let the air out of one of their rear tires and use a strap wrapped around it as a make shift winch too. Necessity brings about a lot of creative solutions, I just try to make them as safe as possible when I do it.
We had a huge oak tree that a D-7 couldn't budge. The operator got three great big nylon tow straps, wrapped them around that tree and hooked them to his D-7. He took a run out where we wanted the tree to go, parked it, and set the brakes. We were eating our sammiches and heard a loud snap and crunch. We went outside and saw that old oak was uprooted and over on its side.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another mod made to the tractor.

58BB36BE-6B01-489D-8F18-957017ED2513.jpeg

047F5882-B468-48B7-9DDB-21D260915A9D.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom