Tractor time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure alcohol was involved with that one that fell out.

The one near Wakita a few years ago the guy had bad wiring or something on his tractor and jumped across the solenoid or starter with a screwdriver and it started but was in gear. He got out of the way, and then tried to used the back end of his flatbed to slow it down to stall it out. That didn't work so he got in front of it and waited for it and was going to step on the ladder and get in and get control of it. He missed the step or something, lost his balance and fell and it ran over him.
Yeah, didn't want to mention the alcohol issue with falling out, although that is an issue for sure. Long days on the tractor can lead to that for some.
I have a lot more stories of crap happening as I'm sure you do as well about farming accidents. They are not uncommon.
Edit: I have a scar of 172 stitches in my right leg from starting a vehicle while it was left in drive and wouldn't start.
Went to a golf driving range to hit some balls that was owned by a friend/coworker.
Employees mother pulled in to pick up her kid and left the vehicle in drive when getting out, turning off the key.
When it wouldn't start, friend asked me to come help because I did that electrical stuff where we worked.
Used the golf cart they had for picking up the golf balls as a jump which had an expanded metal cage built on it where the edges on the door had not been finished yet. About 3/4" long.
When I went across the starter,(that had been left in drive) the vehicle lurched forward, pinning me between the cart door and the vehicle. The curb bumper prevented the vehicle from coming further, but it was running and the lady was so glad she hit the throttle again, pinning me once more on the expanded metal until she realized this was not a good thing to do and let off the gas.
Dr at the ER said that was his personal record for putting in stitches. Fortunately for me, it was high hip and is covered by shorts in the summer.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you fill us in with the details on how he got killed?
Some I talk to remove every safety item on the PTO drive shafts as soon as they get them.
They do get in the way sometimes but another buddy with only one arm, had a thread on his jacket get hooked on the drive shaft and pulled him in to rip his arm off at the shoulder tells me the guards are there for a reason.
Personally, when hooking up the PTO shaft, the tractor is turned off and the pto is put in neutral. Don't get near that thing when the tractor is running. I don't want to experience the horror of that happening like my friend.
I've met another farmer with one arm that tried to unjam a square bailer. When he cleared the jam, the wire caught him and tore the arm off. PTO still on.
Speaking of danger, a farmer was disking a field in Grant County a couple years ago when for whatever reason he fell out of the cab of the tractor. The tandem disk behind chewed him up pretty good after the tractor tire ran over him.
Farming is one of the most dangerous occupations out there.

Back in that time, at least up in the Panhandle, they didn't have guards on post hole diggers. He knew better to do what he did in getting off of the tractor and trying to add some of his weight to the digger to get it to dig in. Unfortunately, the auger jumped out and trapped him between the auger and the frame and pto shaft of the digger.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Heavy two wheel drives can many(most) of the time do more than a lighter four wheel drive imo.

Screenshot_20230601_183218_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230601_183223_Facebook.jpg

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hydraulic post drivers may cost more, but they get the job done better.

A lot of things would probably get the job done better. But they aren't $200 and 3 miles from the house. And an auger can dig a hole for anything...posts, trees, shrubs, etc... I suppose you could pound a tree or shrub into the ground with a hydraulic post driver but it wouldn't look very pretty.

This is the "little" guy that followed me home today. 1965 (I think) Ford 4000:

Following.jpg
A.jpg
F.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heavy two wheel drives can many(most) of the time do more than a lighter four wheel drive imo.

View attachment 381833View attachment 381834
I don't know...... Several years ago, the neighbor and I decided to put in a riparian buffer along pole cat creek that had got dammed up by driftwood, left its banks and cut a quarter of one of ours in half.
We planted hundreds of trees with a tree planter along the new creek that was 60' or something on each side, then needed to plant another buffer of native grass outside of the tree planting with another 60' on both sides.
Right before the grass planting we had a rain. A few days later we decided to get the grass planted so I hooked up my 2WD 72HP International at over 9000lbs without a front loader to the planter and almost got stuck.
We changed to the neighbors 45 HP 4wd Mahindra with a front loader that weighed around 3800lbs
and got it done with zero issues.
The 4WD makes a heck of a difference no matter the weight IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom