Traditional lubed vs PC cast bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would yall pick, given same costs? I've not loaded many powder coated bullets, the ones I have seem fine so far. My bullet guy makes both now, for the same price and I'm needing to place an order soon. Thinking about going with the coated bullets this time to try out, just wondering any pros/cons with them? TIA

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the Hi-Tek Coated bullets. I’ve had minor leading at times with lead and lube; correct sizing seems to be more critical when using lead / lube. I’ve never had an issue with the coated bullets. I get mine from Missouri Bullet Company.

Wheelgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would choose powder coat or hi-tech unless I could get them sized to my liking.
When shooting cast fit is key. You need at least .001 over groove size, especially with conventional lube.
I usually try for .002 personaly, it’s not as critical with powder coat or hi-tech, but as long as I’m at least .001 over I get ZERO leading.
Another thing is commercial cast is usually hard cast with hard lube, this helps for shipping but is a big contributor to leading issues if fit isn’t right.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make my own cast bullets and I* have 2 45's that you can't get to groove size the groove measures
.4535" So I must cast soft alloy and it bumps up quicker and less leading with lubed bullets.
If I rapid fire I get quite a bit of leading.
Once I began powder coating the 45's I get Zero leading and accuracy is the same.
I actually took 300+ alox lubed bullets and cleaned them of all alox and powder coated them because I like that so much.

Now I still run a 170 gr lubed lead gas checked bullet in my 30-06 because I have not wanted to change that particular load as it is so fun and accurate enough.
11.5gr Red Dot powder 1400 fps quiet like a weak fire cracker.
Recoil like a 22 rifle.

A draw back to the lubed bullet is it will collect dust and your fingers get greasy.
I have also found in my 30-30 with cast lubed gas checked bullets is velocity increases with the more you shoot.

I was shooting 10 rounds through my 30-30 checking group size and velocity and noticed each shot gained a little more velocity.
I was not going slow fire i was shooting at the target than load another round and reposition the gun and send another one down range.

I do not know what the velocity difference was exactly but it was more than 100 fps difference by the last shot fired.

I found it .
Read through this.

Spent a good portion of Saturday casting...

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
95% of my shooting is PC bullets.

Can drive them faster ( I shoot cast PC in .30-30 and .30-06), up to 2600 fps, without leading. They actually, clean them barrel.

Lead is encapsulated, better for indoor shooting.

Same price, is a no brainer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom