Trail Cam Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doe with broken/deformed right front leg. I can understand why she does not jump the fence. But, nothing else has jumped it in about two weeks. Heading there next week to nuke the foliage around the feeder and make sure it is working. I’m ready for a protein feeder in another spot. I give broadcast corn a “D” grade.
View attachment 306562
Just out of curiosity, do any of you folks take deer like this? I know she would not be a trophy but I would to help the herd.

Not trying to tell anyone what they should do, just curious if only I think that way.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll definitely shoot a cripple deer if needed and have killed a bunch over the years. The most memorable is a buck that a neighbor shot in the leg with his bow. I saw the buck on camera and knew something was wrong and finally got a picture of the wound. I didn’t end up killing him until late season, and I did him a favor. The broadhead was stuck in the bone and very infected.
02E6DC86-DDB9-4A14-A444-CD932D89E38C.jpeg

A2EFDFEB-8AA7-4E63-9DDB-1D20C73C79B8.jpeg

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve only harvested Coues deer before and hope to take my first full-sized Whitetail this year. I’d rather not have my first be a cripple, but would otherwise think it honorable to harvest a crippled deer. I learned from my OK neighbor that they had first seen that 3-legged doe over a year ago and were surprised it had eluded coyotes for this long. It was not born that way (it hung around its tame mother after an unwitnessed 2021 injury before disappearing).

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve been texting the guy that hunts south of me. He has him on camera as well as the other big buck I posted. I’m getting pics much more sparingly than he is though. The cell cam technology is so useful. The cams have paid for themselves in fuel costs. It has lessened my need to go into the area as much. Another benefit is that you can see what’s there or has been there right as you walk in. I wish I would have done I sooner.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost all my deer on cam are still coming at 10pm to 5am. Lots of bucks hanging together and very few does on cam. I think they're spending their daylight hours on the property north of me.
Hoping some cooler weather will get em going.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost all my deer on cam are still coming at 10pm to 5am. Lots of bucks hanging together and very few does on cam. I think they're spending their daylight hours on the property north of me.
Hoping some cooler weather will get em going.
Full moon is more than likely a large part of why they’re coming in overnight. I’ve killed deer during the full moon, but my favorite and preferred time to hunt is during the new moon.
In my opinion, the best time to be in the stand in October is going to be the first few days of muzzleloader season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom