Trailer tags/travel question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, can anybody give me the quick 101 on this?

OK doesnt require tags for small trailers...correct?
If you travel across state lines, do you now need tags?

If you buy a trailer that was never tagged, and want to get it tagged, do you owe "back pay" on the tags or do you get a fresh start?

If a trailer doesnt have a title, how hard is it to get one?

I'm looking at a small used trailer...but have never bought one so not sure on the laws here and hoping for fairly quick answers to see if its worth perusing or not.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can drag it anywhere but without a tag in Texas for instance you may get pulled over and have to explain to the officer you're from OK. I know this firsthand.

I used to get pulled over in Tx frequently when I was vacationing in Tx and lived in Missouri. MO only issues a tag for the front of trucks tagged over 18k. Texas troopers look for tags on the rear.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We hit a snag several years ago, used to drag a trailer and 5 ATV's to ride the sand dunes in southern California. Got hassled in Baker, CA by a Sheriff about no tag on our trailer. Had the title and he still was a bit of a dick about it. Had a Buddy with us that was TCSO at the time, and he hassled him too.

Not sure I would buy a trailer without a title or registration papers these days, too likely that it is stolen...

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can get the serial number, I would call the tag office and they can answer all your questions. I would probably suggest taggin it if running out of state just to save hassle. If you can't find a serial, just get a homemade trailer title.
I've never understood OK not tagging trailers. I've seen many at auctions in other states. I often wondered how many were stolen but never heard of any tagging issues. I'm sure many just got a homemade title for em.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time we used to use our SSN on our horse trailers. How nutz was that!

That’s one of the ways we learned to weld in Freshman year FFA was welding ssn’s on the frame of ours or someones we knew trailers.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

Latest posts

Top Bottom