Trailer Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fellas

So, as i posted a while back, i bought a 24' enclosed cargo trailer for my move. It came with a spare tire. I also orderd a second spare tire and wheel but the crazy things is, through Amazon, i got two tires on the order. Order only shows i paid for one though. Anywho, do cargo trailer tires need to be balanced or should i just mount the tire on the wheel, fill with air and be done with it? My initial thought is no but want to be sure. Now i have three spares and at least two are Carlisle so got quality backups that i may switch out and put on the front axle and use the chinese crap as spares.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely use the china bombs as spares. Many, many stories of the china bombs exploding and destroying part of the trailer. Most are only rated to 60 mph.
The first thing we did when buying both of our RV's was to convert the factory tires to the Goodyear Endurance.
88 mph speed rating.
We balance all of our trailer tires from the 13" on the utility trailer to the RV size. The tire shops roll their eyes when we ask them to balance, but if one thinks about it why would you not? Nobody likes to see a tire bouncing down the road due to imbalance that results in shorter tire life. Consequently we don't have major issues with trailer tires other than the occasional flat.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I tow broncos all across the country. Chinese or not, go with 14 or 16 ply tires. 10 ply will leave you disappointed or stranded at some point. Got this advice from some other bronco guys years ago and haven't been disappointed yet. They will take care of any longevity and flat issues instantly other than running over piece of large sharp metal or something like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom