Trailer Towing and a Blow Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep!! Truth spoken here. When we drive to OK in this truck not towing we usually stop four times for fuel and put in an average of about 20 gallons each time. I never try to get it down near the 1/4 tank mark on my trips. I already know I'm going to be in the 6-8 MPG range towing with this Hemi powered Ram. Still worth the cost savings and effort to do the move ourselves.
i get 10 mpg with the ford f350 6.2 towing livestock. i lock it out of 6th

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve made it a practice to start looking for fuel stations at 1/2 tank with a 38 gallon supply.
we have been uncomfortably close to running out a couple of times.
Especially when pulling into a head wind.
Right now pulling into the mountains, always climbing without headwinds, we are getting 9.8 mpg.
Yes when we travel west we start looking when we get less than half a tank, traveling east at a quarter tank. There are 3x the gas stations when traveling on the east side of the country and less demanding terrain.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me too but I'm sure I'll always be "that guy from Commiefornia" here on OSA.
Oh heavens no. You would only be called that if you brought the Commiefornia mindset here. As far as I'm concerned, you were an Okie POW and deserved a special rate on a new category of Oklahoma's ten thousand license plates. Let's say, Ex Commiefornia POW.

1625490952009.png

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve made it a practice to start looking for fuel stations at 1/2 tank with a 38 gallon supply.
we have been uncomfortably close to running out a couple of times.
Especially when pulling into a head wind.
Right now pulling into the mountains, always climbing without headwinds, we are getting 9.8 mpg.
When traveling, I always carry at least two full gas cans (usually 4).
I made a tractor buying run up to Midwest City about 10 years ago, and I completely misfigured my fuel consumption before getting back on the Indian Nation turnpike on the way home. I got in a bind before getting to the new station at McAlister, and I had to dump a can to make it. I’ve never made that mistake again, but it reinforced my habit of carrying the fuel cans.

A year or so ago, I had to give a guy a can of gas that had done the same on the way home with his family from a stock show in Tulsa at about the same place it happened to me.

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When traveling, I always carry at least two full gas cans (usually 4).
I made a tractor buying run up to Midwest City about 10 years ago, and I completely misfigured my fuel consumption before getting back on the Indian Nation turnpike on the way home. I got in a bind before getting to the new station at McAlister, and I had to dump a can to make it. I’ve never made that mistake again, but it reinforced my habit of carrying the fuel cans.

A year or so ago, I had to give a guy a can of gas that had done the same on the way home with his family from a stock show in Tulsa at about the same place it happened to me.
I have two of the Wavian steel jerry cans I'm bringing with me on the trip. THey are great quality with excellent nozzels and will empty the 5 gallons into my truck in less than about a minute.

Latest posts

Top Bottom