Trailer Towing and a Blow Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go 14ply tires or drive at night if possible.
If you must drive during the day with 10ply and 100⁰+ temps, I definitely wouldn't start out at max psi.. Most of the guys I know that don't run 14ply have one of these and they get used frequently.

View attachment 211178

My brother keeps one of those in his trucks when he hauls cattle from his place in western Oklahoma to his place in Seminole/Hughes county.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was pullimg a travel trailer on the Turnpike from Tulsa. Out of 4 trailer tires, 1 tire blew, and 2 more separated from the tread.

At the same time.

I had one spare.

I certainly knew something was going on when the trailer started trying to pass me, and everyone around me started acting like stunt drivers.

I changed the blown tire, and limped home on the 2 tires with tread missing.

I learned valuable lessons.
Get heavier tires.
Pay attention to load ratings.
Pay even more attention to speed ratings.
Carry more than one spare.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go 14ply tires or drive at night if possible.
If you must drive during the day with 10ply and 100⁰+ temps, I definitely wouldn't start out at max psi.. Most of the guys I know that don't run 14ply have one of these and they get used frequently.

View attachment 211178

HA! that is pretty neat thing for 74 dollar. i use a short 6x6 oak with a 45 degree cut on ends. i think it was free.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am shopping tires as we speak for a three axle cattle trailer. looks like i can get 6- g rated 14 ply 85 mph 110 psi 4600 lbs rated tires for 1038 dollars. i can drop down to just a little less tread depth same spec tire for 918 dollar.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will add to the above. Please pack ALL of your wheel bearings BEFORE taking on such a long trip. It doesn't take long and an ounce of prevention....
No kiddin' ... :D

Drove to east Texas to pick up an old IH grain drill from my brother's widow, and a wheel bearing on my 16' flatbed (trailer house axles) locked up on the way back. I'd recently traded for it, and hadn't packed the bearings yet.

Removed the wheel and drove about 2/3 of the way back with that hub chained up to the frame, hopin' and prayin' another one wouldn't lock up before we got home (fortunately, they didn't).

FWIW, I never had a trailer flat that didn't let me know about it. But my pickup has wide mirrors, and no AC, so I always ran with the windows down unless it was cold.
:drunk2:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am shopping tires as we speak for a three axle cattle trailer. looks like i can get 6- g rated 14 ply 85 mph 110 psi 4600 lbs rated tires for 1038 dollars. i can drop down to just a little less tread depth same spec tire for 918 dollar.
That sounds like a really good deal on those tires. What brand are they?
I’ve found that all 14 ply trailer tires aren’t created equal. My favorites are Hancooks, but I’ve also run Providers.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like a really good deal on those tires. What brand are they?
I’ve found that all 14 ply trailer tires aren’t created equal. My favorites are Hancooks, but I’ve also run Providers.
Gladiator QR25-TS Trailer ST235/85R-16
ST235/85R-16

i have had extremely good luck with these. they were the tire that was on my gooseneck brand stock trailer when i bought it new.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my experience tied in with a lot of RV folks that tow thousands of miles I read about online.
Most ST trailer tires are made in China. Commonly called China bombs because of their propensity to explode and cause massive damage.
One also has to look at the speed ratings on the tires as well as load rating. Our first RV was only rated 60 mph max speed.
What we found is that the Goodyear Endurance tire is top of the line for towing. Couple of reasons. They have a speed rating of 87mph and if they blow, it’s out the sidewalls with the tread remaining intact which doesn’t typically tear up fender wells.
Converted our first RV to them with zero issues after many thousand miles of towing.
the new RV still has the G rated China bombs, but after the next trip they will be changed to Goodyear.
We also run the tire pressure monitors on each wheel.
Monitors pressure, temperature, slow leak alarm, rapid failure alarm, and normal hi/lo pressure. Mounts on the windshield or just laying on the dash. The sunny side certainly gains several additional psi.
They go into sleep mode when the trailer isn’t moving. Motion gets them started on the display unit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom