Trailer Towing and a Blow Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes i have also read about the china bombs. but all i can speak about is my personal experience with the gladiator tire above mentioned. i haven't had any problems with them and are usually loaded to near max with a load that shifts around greatly. imagine a 1200 pound cow decides to be on the other side of the trailer and pushes 4 other 1200 pounders around until she gets there. i rarely drive over 75 mph though. but i am religious about keeping the air pressure up to spec before i haul. just my 2 pennies.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go 14ply tires or drive at night if possible.
If you must drive during the day with 10ply and 100⁰+ temps, I definitely wouldn't start out at max psi.. Most of the guys I know that don't run 14ply have one of these and they get used frequently.

View attachment 211178

We'll be going through the hottest part of the trip (southern CA desert) in the early morning. I do have a stacked wood ramp made of 2x6 material that has already worked well for getting a tire repaired from a screw in the tire. Also have my 3 ton floor jack in the trailer if needed to change a tire. I have three spares with me. Didn't even realize 14 ply were a thing so as i get flats I will replace with a new 14 ply. I see myself keeping the trailer afte our move is complete. I think We are going to take the souther route through Phoenix, El Paso on to DFW and up through Henryetta to Sapulpa. It is longer but best route for the particular trip out to OK.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DFW and up through Henryetta to Sapulpa
As long as you're not taking the Indian Nation Turnpike. That's some rough dang road, as I recall. I don't know if you've run that route recently, but US-75 (older Okies know it as the Okmulgee Beeline) is under construction in Henryetta, and is down to one lane for a mile or two just north of I-40. The right lane is pretty rough just north of the construction, and it's not awesome in Okmulgee, but other than that, the Beeline is a pretty decent highway from Henryetta to Tulsa.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I lived in so cal I made the round trip to Tulsa almost every summer on a motorcycle. I would suggest you stick to I 40 unless you really like the dessert and miles of nothing.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll be going through the hottest part of the trip (southern CA desert) in the early morning. I do have a stacked wood ramp made of 2x6 material that has already worked well for getting a tire repaired from a screw in the tire. Also have my 3 ton floor jack in the trailer if needed to change a tire. I have three spares with me. Didn't even realize 14 ply were a thing so as i get flats I will replace with a new 14 ply. I see myself keeping the trailer afte our move is complete. I think We are going to take the souther route through Phoenix, El Paso on to DFW and up through Henryetta to Sapulpa. It is longer but best route for the particular trip out to OK.

just a bit of advice== if you are going to replace them one at a time it is better to use the same tire as the other on that side because the new tire may have different side wall and other characteristics that can either overload it or the other tire. advice would be to buy as many as it takes to at least have the same tire on one side and then use the other similar tires on the other side of the trailer. same with spare.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I 44 would be a short cut to Sapulpa.
If i take I-40 we always do. But are you saying if we take I-10 to I-20 to come up through Wichita Falls, through Lawton and up I-44 to Sapulpa?

The reason we are taking the Southen Route as mentioned above is two-fold. 1) I've only driven that route once about 25 years ago and a change of scenery would be nice. I'm getting my trailer weighed tomorrow at the Cat Scales but it seems to be every bit of the 10K GVWR as it is loaded now. When i bought my Ram 2500 Mega Cab i had no need for the Cummins and didn't want to spend the additional coin on it so i got the 6.4 Hemi. Love the engine and it has been great for our needs. My only concern is between about our hosue and Flagstaff, AZ there are some serious grades pulling the trailer up and up and up and some down. Going I-10 there is really only one long moderate grade just East of Palm Springs and that is really about it and it is only about 10 miles long. Either way we are going to make it a two nighter to make the haul out and a one night stay in Flagstaff coming back with an empty trailer. I also read some sites that said there is a ton (freakin always) of road construction in AZ/NM right now. Nothign is set in stone but our thoughts at this time.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were towing a 24' enclosed car hauler from Reno to Tulsa in the early spring, blew a tire about an hour East of Amarillo. You will notice. Definitely suggest the tire pressure monitor as well. Once you get past Albuquerque I-40 is horrible and watch the road for pot holes. It is really bad in Arizona, pretty decent from Needles on West.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
If i take I-40 we always do. But are you saying if we take I-10 to I-20 to come up through Wichita Falls, through Lawton and up I-44 to Sapulpa?

The reason we are taking the Southen Route as mentioned above is two-fold. 1) I've only driven that route once about 25 years ago and a change of scenery would be nice. I'm getting my trailer weighed tomorrow at the Cat Scales but it seems to be every bit of the 10K GVWR as it is loaded now. When i bought my Ram 2500 Mega Cab i had no need for the Cummins and didn't want to spend the additional coin on it so i got the 6.4 Hemi. Love the engine and it has been great for our needs. My only concern is between about our hosue and Flagstaff, AZ there are some serious grades pulling the trailer up and up and up and some down. Going I-10 there is really only one long moderate grade just East of Palm Springs and that is really about it and it is only about 10 miles long. Either way we are going to make it a two nighter to make the haul out and a one night stay in Flagstaff coming back with an empty trailer. I also read some sites that said there is a ton (freakin always) of road construction in AZ/NM right now. Nothign is set in stone but our thoughts at this time.
Yes. I would also plan for at least two alternate routes on those long stretches of AZ, NM, and TX interstates and pre plan them by the abundance of gas, tire, repair parts and lodging. My son was caught by a vehicle fire shutting down I-40 westbound when about an hour east of Flagstaff. It was closed for 6 hours because of a fatality. He said it was a major Charlie Foxtrot and nobody could turn around or get off any side roads because there weren't any. He was the third truck back behind the accident and pulled up on it after a half hour of driving with no one in front or behind him.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NO , catch I44 in OKC north to Sapulpa . You said u were going to Henryetta then to Sapulpa . You would be doubling back West .

Latest posts

Top Bottom