Trailer Towing and a Blow Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I would add if you’re going through DFW—watch the weather. If there will be heavy rains in DFW, stay away. They have very little notion of storm drainage, and it doesn’t take a whole lot of rain to flood the area but good. About 12 years ago, I had to drive from Denton to Love Field to pick up my brother and his wife, and I had to go all the way down to Commerce Street to find a route that wasn’t flooded. The outside lane and a half of I-35E was even flooded.

Also, I just remembered—I was told that the heavy oilfield traffic around Midland-Odessa has the outside lanes of I-20 pretty well torn up. This was back in late 2018, so it’s possible that they’ve fixed it by now.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NO , catch I44 in OKC north to Sapulpa . You said u were going to Henryetta then to Sapulpa . You would be doubling back West .
Backtracking from the Beeline to Sapulpa isn’t much of a backtrack, only a few miles across 121st/OK-117, which is a pretty nice stretch of 4-lane. And it beats the hell out of having to deal with the loons on the interstate in OKC, IMHO.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Backtracking from the Beeline to Sapulpa isn’t much of a backtrack, only a few miles across 121st/OK-117, which is a pretty nice stretch of 4-lane. And it beats the hell out of having to deal with the loons on the interstate in OKC, IMHO.
Correct. My Inlaws live about half way between I-44 and Hwy 75.

One of you mentioned knowing towns, repair places and the route well since I am towing and there is a propensity to require additional services. I know I-40 well. It just may come down to a decision the day before we leave. Looking forward to the trip though. Finding out the weigh of my trailer as it sits has me a bit nervous.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update on tire monitors on our RV.
max pressure on our G rated tires is 110 psi.
they are filled with nitrogen. (Green caps)
At home sitting stationary with 90 degree ambient temperatures, the tires read 101 psi on the shade side and 105 on the sun side.
going down the road today with 85* ambient temps one tire got to 90* with 116 pressure the rest were At 110 psi or 111psi.
pulled into rest stop and removed 5 psi from each tire recording what my tire pressure gauge said that has been verified. Putting the monitors back on, they matched the TPG.
On down the road that one tire on the right rear of the tandems ran back up to 114.
suspect some misalignment or balance.
parking tonight I removed another 5 psi of pressure from each tire with the monitors agreeing once again.
I’m thinking these are a must have item for serious towing.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not really backtracking, but it IS quite a bit further.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At home sitting stationary with 90 degree ambient temperatures, the tires read 101 psi on the shade side and 105 on the sun side.
going down the road today with 85* ambient temps one tire got to 90* with 116 pressure the rest were At 110 psi or 111psi.
pulled into rest stop and removed 5 psi from each tire recording what my tire pressure gauge said that has been verified. Putting the monitors back on, they matched the TPG.
On down the road that one tire on the right rear of the tandems ran back up to 114.
parking tonight I removed another 5 psi of pressure from each tire with the monitors agreeing once again.

thanks this is interesting. are all of the tires the same brand and age? interesting that right rear tire is getting hot. maybe you could move that tire to another location to see if the problem follows the tire or stays with the trailer. could help diagnose if you have an alignment problem?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks this is interesting. are all of the tires the same brand and age? interesting that right rear tire is getting hot. maybe you could move that tire to another location to see if the problem follows the tire or stays with the trailer. could help diagnose if you have an alignment problem?
Yes, same age/brand. Rotation would be the correct method to diagnose the unusual heating of that tire. They are on a 14,000 + pound RV so it’s not something I have equipment at home to work with. Commercial tire shop will get the job.
I also suspect that is not nitrogen in the tires as nitrogen is supposed to prevent this issue.
A complete drain and refill might solve some issues as well.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, same age/brand. Rotation would be the correct method to diagnose the unusual heating of that tire. They are on a 14,000 + pound RV so it’s not something I have equipment at home to work with. Commercial tire shop will get the job.
I also suspect that is not nitrogen in the tires as nitrogen is supposed to prevent this issue.
A complete drain and refill might solve some issues as well.
Did you pickup a 5th wheel? I thought you had a Keystone Outback or something?

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I finally got ours up and running yesterday. I like the way it shows me tire pressure and tire temp and you set alarms for over temp or over pressure.
Agreed, these are must have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom