Trailer towing guys......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm contemplating purchasing a toy hauler. My question is how do I know what the towing capacity of my vehicle is. I'm wanting to use my suburban....1999..5.7 motor...4L60e transmission....Gmail 10 bolt posi Trac with 3.73 gears factory tow pack with factory auxiliary oil and transmission coolers. The trailer hitch has a 5000# rating ( factory). I'm looking at a lightweight trailer 6100# pull behind ( not a 5th wheel). Any experience with a close type setup? Is the hitch the limiting factor?. It's a 1500 4 wd btw.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the hitch is your FIRST and foremost limiting factor. Then brakes and suspension. I think that Sub will pull 6100lbs just fine if it's all kosher. Check the GVWR on the door placard, weight the truck, then add the hitch weight and don't go over the GVWR.

Edited: Scratch all that. It's been too long!

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Fyr.....no no owners manual came with it....I ran the vin at a dealer and found the different RPO codes.thats the only reason I know I have a tow package and the gear ratio...lol. shadow...ill take a look at that. I know my hitch is rated to 5000# so I guess that will need to be updated first.....thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes the hitch is your FIRST and foremost limiting factor. Then brakes and suspension. I think that Sub will pull 6100lbs just fine if it's all kosher. Check the GVWR on the door placard, weight the truck, then add the hitch weight and don't go over the GVWR.

Edited: Scratch all that. It's been too long!

He says "yes it does" ... yippee ... :rolleyes: I'm SO excited ... :wink2: :rollingla

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fyr.....no no owners manual came with it....I ran the vin at a dealer and found the different RPO codes.thats the only reason I know I have a tow package and the gear ratio...lol. shadow...ill take a look at that. I know my hitch is obliterated to 5000# so I guess that will need to be updated first.....thanks.

I had to edit my post. GVWR is for the truck only! So your question still needs answered. With a proper load bearing hitch and trailer brakes I think your are fine going up quite a ways. I know my grandpa pulled a 10,500lb travel trailer with a bone stock 3/4 GMC pickup. No towing package, but he didn't ever hit any mountains either, just OK and TX.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to edit my post. GVWR is for the truck only! So your question still needs answered. With a proper load bearing hitch and trailer brakes I think your are fine going up quite a ways. I know my grandpa pulled a 10,500lb travel trailer with a bone stock 3/4 GMC pickup. No towing package, but he didn't ever hit any mountains either, just OK and TX.

It's good ... the version I read to him while he was looking at his paperwork was your edited post ... he says he thinks he understands what you are saying ... the first version he was like "whut??"

He says it looks like he can tow 6500# based on the owner's manual Firecop provided ...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BB that sounds pretty close for a 1500. For some reason I was thinking you guys had a 2500. I can say that if everything is all good the real limiting factor will be that 10 bolt rear diff. I had a buddy that smoked (literally) his with far less weight. he was probably towing maybe 4000lbs max, but the trailer was very tall, had a straight a$$ vertical front and pulled a crapton of wind, and you know how the wind is in western OK. He was going to Kommiefornia, got to the OK state line cruising about 75mph and saw the smoke. He said he saw it just in time to prevent the actual fire that was fixing to happen with his wife's brand new truck. It was crackling under there! He limped it into Amarillo, rented a uhaul to pull it and had his pinion seal replaced and a fluid change. Moral to this story is don't friggin drive 75-85 pulling a trailer with a light duty truck!

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok....according to the manual I'm good to 6500#....the trailer weighs 3800#. So I think I'm good with the hitch and receiver I have. I guess I should drop the diff cover and put some good 80-90 weight synthetic gear oil with posi treatment for good measure in it. I just plan on the flat prairie for traveling with this. And at a reasonable speed....lol.

Last edited:

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can verify your burb is equipped to tow 6500#, usually a 4wd is few hundred pounds lower than a 2wd and strangely a 2500 with same ratio/equipment is rated lower at 6000# too.

edit: Nevermind

Latest posts

Top Bottom