Trailer trash diy gun rest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. Tons of rain last night and cool day today. Going to the local range to test out the "Joe Dirt" shooting bag.
Will report the good and the bad. Have already came up with a modification I plan to do if this works well.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it works it works. I dont even have a set of bags right now. Just a sock filled with bird shot for a rear bag. If you want to eliminate all variables when you are shooting for groups, pull that front sling stud out while youre shooting off bags.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a problem. I think I jacked up my stock. Think I twisted it a bit with I installed my comp. Shooting horrible groups. It's either the stock or the comp and I think it's the stock. Can't see how a comp could have that much to do with it. Also, not a fan of the 140 grain ammo.
I'm going to take a long look at the stock tomorrow and see if the stock is touching the barrel or something amiss.
Not happy.
Plus, our agency owns a 3 bedroom home that got flooded with 8" of water. No one closer than me so had to get a company to dry it out and relocate the renters.
Between looking for someone to do the work, dropped 40 rounds through my creedmoor getting frustrated as hell.
Stopped by the indoor range for some relief but it was closed due to flooding.
Should have played golf.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not exactly sure how your bedding system is in that stock so I dont know if that is possible or not. Could very well be the comp though. Easy to take it off and see. I hope you figure it out.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no bedding. The barrel is free floated but very unsteady. I think I will either put some hardening agent in the fore end to firm it up and dremel where I think it may be touching. I might just pick up the new AT One Boyds stock but I had hoped to wait and get the LSS Chassis.
Ruger saved on the cost of the gun in places like the stock. I get it. This has to get fixed.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.ruger.com_products_americanRiflePredator_images_features_PowerBedding.jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The action has aluminum bedding. Think they call it power block or something like that.
You're right. My mistake, but I do think the fore end of the stock is touching the barrel. Need to do the paper or dollar test. Has to be one of these things messing with my groups. NOT ME! Maybe me? Yep...definitely me perhaps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom