1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trainer Recommendations Near Tulsa

Discussion in 'Firearm Training' started by Jackson-IN, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Jackson-IN

Jackson-IN Marksman

Thanks so much, Annie. You've been very helpful. She has fired the gun before and can operate it generally. I don't think basic loading, unloading, and use will be a problem for her. I have not seen her shoot. So I haven't had an opportunity to assess her gun handling proficiency. She has never carried, worked from a holster, or taken formal training.

TDSA appears to offer two courses that may fit. One is a ladies only class that is mostly classroom and doesn't require your own equipment. The other is a 2-day, 1k rnd course where you need all your own gear, etc.

I was hoping for something in between. I don't think she has an adequate holster or equipment for the two day class. I will find out more about what they have (or have her find out) or maybe just recommend to her the more basic class as a good starting point.

Annie likes this.
  2. KOPBET

KOPBET Sharpshooter

My wife has taken the ladies' class at TDSA. This was a great class for her, and Travis and crew did an outstanding job. I personally would not recommend anything beyond that at TDSA (e.g. 2-day 1k round class) for a new lady shooter, but I'm sure there are others that will say it is no big deal.

Annie likes this.
  3. Annie

Annie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    She won't draw from a holster in the SDA class. At least most instructors don't require that. If she takes the class at an outdoor range where there are no table rests on the range it might be different just for convenience sake.

And if I'm not mistaken I think the first class you mentioned (the one where she doesn't have to have her own weapon) she CAN use her own gun if she wants, and is an excellent class to get comfortable with firearms. I agree with KOPBET that it actually is the class she needs to take.

She does need to go to a range a few times and shoot her gun so she's not uncomfortable with the recoil at class. She can also practice loading bullets in her magazines, and loading and unloading her gun (NOT at the same time!!) at home.

Basically anything she can do before class so she can focus on her instructors commands at class and not have the added stress of fooling with a gun she is not familiar with will help her immensely.

4. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yep
    Trained w a lot of names, civilian and LE

Annie likes this.
  5. TacMed101

TacMed101 Marksman

Rating
    100%
    ATAP training does personal training, as well! Highly recommend Chris and his training approach.

rawhide likes this.
  6. rawhide

rawhide Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My wife took the TDSA course with Marshall when she was new to firearms and highly recommends it.
    I haven't trained with ATAP but I know Chris and would not hesitate to recommend him.