training class question / rant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of Instructors complain about people not getting additional training after they get their carry permit.
lets look at it from the other side : typically the classes cost $250 to $500 +. then figure in the price of ammo and you're in the $800 + range, then here is the thing I have issue with,when you check the required equipment list you need a service sized handgun and holster + mags and mag holders.

I believe a lot of people the get a carry permit for self defense purposes are not "gun guys" so they may only own one handgun for self defense carry and usually it is a smaller single stack like the shield or XDs or even a 380, but if they want to take a class they have to spend the money for a full size gun and gear that they will likely never carry.

why not offer classes that teach people to handle,use and defend themselves with they guns they are actually going to carry?

I've been to several training classes and it seems like they are full of tier 1 want to be's equipped with all the latest tactical gear running around chest bumping and calling each other bro while the take the same class for the fourth time.

seems to me the people who need the training most have no where to go and learn to use the gun they're really going to carry

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of Instructors complain about people not getting additional training after they get their carry permit.
lets look at it from the other side : typically the classes cost $250 to $500 +. then figure in the price of ammo and you're in the $800 + range, then here is the thing I have issue with,when you check the required equipment list you need a service sized handgun and holster + mags and mag holders.

I believe a lot of people the get a carry permit for self defense purposes are not "gun guys" so they may only own one handgun for self defense carry and usually it is a smaller single stack like the shield or XDs or even a 380, but if they want to take a class they have to spend the money for a full size gun and gear that they will likely never carry.

why not offer classes that teach people to handle,use and defend themselves with they guns they are actually going to carry?

I've been to several training classes and it seems like they are full of tier 1 want to be's equipped with all the latest tactical gear running around chest bumping and calling each other bro while the take the same class for the fourth time.

seems to me the people who need the training most have no where to go and learn to use the gun they're really going to carry

Funny AND true......

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are plenty of classes like that out there. Will Andrews' classes come to mind...inexpensive and efficient

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will Andrews classes appear be slightly less or roughly the same cost per hour (depending on his class) as TDSA, require 9mm or larger and require a comparable amount of ammo for the range time.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

We do offer such classes tailored to using the customer's actual gun and starting right at the first steps if need be.
I have available NRA First Steps, Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ironically, my usual customers are couples and women.
Most individual guys who contact me are NOT looking to learn the basics, but are wanting the tacticool super courses (or think they do).
I refer them to TDSA; one who overestimated his abilities came back from Tulsa shocked.

For example, one couple who had minimal shooting experience started at first Steps, trying several of my guns.
She selected a J frame .38 S&W revolver, and he an S&W 9mm semiauto. They took several courses together, including Personal Protection.

Some choose to shoot .380s, a few insist on shooting .22s, and one learned to shoot a .22 well, then switched to a S&W .38 revolver.
Is it a mistake to teach people to shoot a S&W J frame .22? I don't think so, if that is what they want. If they advance to the person protection courses, they may switch to a larger caliber.

As to buying the ammo, well yes, they have to buy commercial ammunition for each class. But First Steps is only a box or 2.

Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have taken several classes and there is always what I call the gun skool cult there. That group of guys dressed head to toe in 511 and all the tacticool gear, I've had a few rag me about my jeans and t shirt. I always wonder do they wear that to take thier kids to the dentist?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have taken several classes and there is always what I call the gun skool cult there. That group of guys dressed head to toe in 511 and all the tacticool gear, I've had a few rag me about my jeans and t shirt. I always wonder do they wear that to take thier kids to the dentist?

lol....My usual class attire is jeans and a shirt with pockets. I do wear a nametag.
When I took some refresher instructor courses in Ft Worth, the Counselor (Instructor's instructor) was dressed about the same as I, but half the class (of instructors) were dressed in 511 and tacticool.
Most soon caught on that the rest of us were not impressed by their uniforms, and by the third day, some had switched to casual clothes. :)
For a certain type of student, I can see why they might want to try to impress early. I do little to no shooting when I am teaching, but there are some guys that have to be shown what I am trying to get them to do before they will settle down and learn. Everybody is an individual, and each type of class is different.

Last edited:

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It absolutely depends on the type of class being taken. Appropriate attire, weapon(s), ancillary equipment is is determined by the type of course. If you show up to a concealed carry FoF class in full battle rattle you are wrong. Similarly, if you show up to a CQB/SUT live fire course without plates and a brain bucket, and the kit to carry the necessary ammo/med you are really wrong. But, there will always be "that guy", unless it is a well vetted course with specific guidelines that are enforced.
Btw, having spare mags or speed loaders makes the pace of the class proceed faster since you wont be constantly punching a mag during drills.
At the end of the day, quality training costs money. Sometimes the cost of the class is less than the cost of travel, ammo, lodging, food,etc. There are classes, by very qualified instructors, for every level and type.

Latest posts

Top Bottom