Training to take

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YetiSam

spaghetti pistols
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the MeadHall schedule. Plenty of great classes go on there every year. NoFail Pistol with Chuck Pressburg a great way to up your game.

Last edited:

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so what I'm gathering from this is that once the "basics" are taken, just keep practicing what you learned in the "basics" and your good?
My personal approach has been to find drills that are fun and require accuracy. If I was struggling with the accuracy part, I would get someone who is an accomplished shooter to watch me after I let them know what I am struggling with. As proficiency improves on the accuracy part and I felt like I was trying to coast a bit, I start finding drills that add time to the mix. I found that if I had the perception of all the time in the world to set up and go through the steps, I could crack off a textbook shot each time. Adding a time challenge would bring some underlying bad habits to light and the practice would start over. I used to shoot a LOT more before having a family, but I really need to ramp it back up.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We are fortunate to have a lot of good trainers locally. While getting the basics down is important, advanced skills are as well. A lot of forum “experts” can’t hit their butt with both hands. Kurt, Gunbuffer, and a couple of others know whereof they speak. Once you learn to shoot consider USPSA matches to show yourself how poorly you perform under a bit of pressure. It’s humbling to say the least but a lot of fun.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are fortunate to have a lot of good trainers locally. While getting the basics down is important, advanced skills are as well. A lot of forum “experts” can’t hit their butt with both hands. Kurt, Gunbuffer, and a couple of others know whereof they speak. Once you learn to shoot consider USPSA matches to show yourself how poorly you perform under a bit of pressure. It’s humbling to say the least but a lot of fun.
I've heard of competitive events that do this, and add a physical aspect to the challenge as well. I've met a lot of fantastic shooters that can't hump gear a hundred yards without gasping.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Spoken like a true expert.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard of competitive events that do this, and add a physical aspect to the challenge as well. I've met a lot of fantastic shooters that can't hump gear a hundred yards without gasping.

USSA used to have some events like this and I've participated, humbling for many for sure, but it was a LOT of fun.

To the OP, I've taken classes with Marshall Luton @ what is now DSA, will probably take some more with Eric Fuson when I get a chance to get up to his new range. Well worth the money.

First time I was taking a class with Marshall, I was the the end of the line with a big dude to my inside so he was my only reference on how I was doing. After shooting a bit, I was like man, I'm garbage, especially compared to this guy. I noticed the instructors were dismissive to this guy too. Come to find out it was Lance Jensen and he was taking a refresher for practice. Ended up doing pretty well, just goes to show how much raising the bar does for your shooting, if you're competitive.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've know plenty of guys who could carry huge amounts of gear, ruck all day, who's only contribution was loud noise, so I guess I'm confused about the point about "fantastic shooters". I would also proffer that there aren't that many "fantastic shooters", there are plenty of good ones, and there's plenty of good enough ones, but "fantastic" really cuts those numbers WAY down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom