Training to Use NON-Dominant Eye

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Luckily, I found out I was left eye dominate when I was very young so I have always shot long guns (open sights) left handed.

I shoot pistols right handed, and when I first got an AR using a red dot, I started shooting it right handed.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned to shoot everything right handed as a child. But it wasn't until I was 19 or 20 that I realized some of shooting problems were because I was left eye dominant. It was awkward at first, but I learned to shoot long-guns left-handed and life has been beautiful since. No tape, no patches, or any other annoying things. Just switch hands, and practice, practice, practice. It'll become natural and easy in short time (if you practice).

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am weird and have a dominance shift, when looking straight ahead my eye focus will shift back and forth. What I have learned is basically the same technique for people who have a left eye dominance and right handed. Keep the eye that you want to have dominance wide open and slightly close the other one. This allows you to do two things, keep both eyes open so you have a full picture of what is around as well as to force dominance shift to one eye. Using the transparent tape on the glasses is basically doing the same thing since it partially occludes one eye.

If you wear glasses or sunglasses the tape trick would be useful if used for a long period of time to help train your brain to have one eye more dominant than the other. Basically the same way you would treat eye problems like double vision after a brain injury and wearing a patch over one eye then the other. There have also been experiments done on people that literally turns their vision "uʍop ǝpᴉsdn" http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/nov/12/improbable-research-seeing-upside-down

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm right handed and left eye dominant - I guess when I learned to shoot a rifle (pretty much as a toddler) I learned to close my left eye. I didn't learn of the concept of dominant eye until my late 20's and figured I had adapted well enough to stay with what worked. My grandson is a lefty and at five he is indicating possible right eye dominance by the way he shoots BB guns and aims toy rifles right-handed. It will be a lot cheaper if he is.

By the way - opposite eye dominance is OK for a baseballer. I bat right and it leaves my dominate left eye facing the pitcher. Lefty grandson hit well lefthanded and it will be better if his right eye is dominant.

Cedar Creek

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned to shoot everything right handed as a child. But it wasn't until I was 19 or 20 that I realized some of shooting problems were because I was left eye dominant. It was awkward at first, but I learned to shoot long-guns left-handed and life has been beautiful since. No tape, no patches, or any other annoying things. Just switch hands, and practice, practice, practice. It'll become natural and easy in short time (if you practice).

Dang, I think I'll just have to get myself a rifle and practice. I've only got into guns this year since nobody else in my family is as far as I know. Not really sure why since mine is a military family, but I'm pretty much the only one who didn't join up. Might be that we're from California.

Is there a good rifle to get started on that'll help with learning to shoot left handed? I've only ever shot that Mosin and always liked the milsurp but I know a guy who has a suped up Ruger 10/22 though I'm not a fan of .22lr. Like myself a good oomph.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Left handed rifles are likely going to be hard to find and probably more expensive and taking brass to the face is not something I would suggest. May want to look at a bolt action to get started. I know right now Remington has a rebate on their 783 series rifle like this one http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105523380/remington-174-model-783-8482-compact-bolt-action-rifle-and-3-9x40-scope-combo/2003410.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles/_/N-1114860+4294758845/Ne-4294758845/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU that would be pretty cheap to start off. Being bolt action it will be slower shooting but should be able to work it with a little practice. And the 308 should have quite a bit of umph for ya otherwise you could grab the 300 win mag model.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom