Transformation of the news as we know it..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Advice is something asked for about something you need insight or teaching or just another view. . Telling me to wear gloves when it is cold is .... a waste of time that would be better used letting me know what is going on in the middle east or China .... You know news!! But we get little Suzy homemaker showing us how to make cornballs, or some cute little girl telling me to wear layers cause it is going to be cold!! Oh yes , lets not forget if there is a cloud in southwest Oklahoma we need to figure out where or safe place is and ensure our batteries are fresh!!
I mean come on man, I remember last year when it snapped off nasty cold.... we had to wear layers..... It was less than a year ago , I remember!!
I also remember when it is hot outside, I wear loose fitting light colored clothing and drink me some high quality H2O................ :rant::rollingla

Agree mostly, but I can remember my dad looking me in the eye and saying "let me give you some advise....." I wasn't asking for it, but I still remember it every he time he said that lol.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Agree mostly, but I can remember my dad looking me in the eye and saying "let me give you some advise....." I wasn't asking for it, but I still remember it every he time he said that lol.
LOL, but if you were like me, a little unsolicited advice from Dad may just have saved you from your hard head getting your back side heated up !! :cool:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
TURN OFF THAT LOCAL TV POOP.

Problem solved.
Works for me.
I’ve refused to pay for cable tv or to figure out how to use an antenna for the past 14 years. Tornadoes, hurricanes, politics, civil unrest, whatever: it wasn’t ruined me yet. I’m still reasonably in touch with the garbage around us, but a whole lot less stressed. My quality of life has drastically improved.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I just don't remember it then. It was like this in the 60's 70's and 80's?
So I think this changed in the 70’s. About then is when the owners manual for a vehicle changed from detailed instructions on how to set valve clearance to “do not drink the fluid in the battery”

Seriously the media has learned that if they lower the message to the 4th grade level they can convey a message clearly. Look at advertisements on TV. A green lizard selling insurance, WTF? No information as to Why is this insurance any better than the next, just a little green lizard. Car ads that show an attractive person smiling as they race through dried leaves on a highway in the middle of a green forest. Nothing about the engine drivetrain or warrantee. pushing the idea that you will be better looking & happier driving this car. Appealing to emotions not facts or common sense.

also note that they Target the audience, for example : high end car and Rolex watch ads during a golf tournament. Fast food commercials during dinner time, pizza ads during a football game etc. if you want to see the media’s perception of the aveage IQ of the audience for any TV show look at the commercials. I have not watched the simpsons in years but I bet every ad on the show is focused on a 4th grade level mentality.

sorry for the rant.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to believe that it happened when cable tv really took off nationwide. CNN, that kind of thing. Probably has been that way a lot longer.

I remember when whichever Ogle (Kelly maybe?) Started doing his "My two cents" on the news. That's not news. That is biased opinion. Hated it.

I just want:

Who
What
When
Where
Why
How

Anyway, I think those days are over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom