Trap & Skeet Loads ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, the grandson who has gotten into trap and skeet (and a little bit of sporting clays) has decided that he wants to get into loading his own, and I am more than happy to oblige him. I don't do that much shotshell loading, and have never loaded for trap or skeet. I've got a MEC 600 Jr. Mark V that I will get set up for his 12 gauge. Would some of you who shoot trap, skeet, and/or sporting clays be willing to share some load info? I've done a fair amount of research online, and the ideas/opinions are pretty diverse. I fully understand that, if you want to share specifics, I use the info at my own risk. And, if you choose to share through a PM or e-mail, that's great! Thanks for your help!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been awhile, but a 28 or 29 bushing for 700x powder will yield a 1150 to 1200 fps with respective bushing, 1 1/8 oz load. Use Claybuster wads, and only use quality hulls, like Winchester AA, Remington STS, Federal Gold Match etc. (Look at the crimps, of quality factory hulls and cheap hulls, you will see the difference.)

All that being said, it is a good hobby, but you won't save much money reloading standard trap loads. One guy I know that travels the country shooting trap (he is on the trap shooters hall of fame) doesn't reload anymore. He says that once a year Winchester has a rebate program for money back on Winchester AA purchases. He buys his estimated yearly ammo needs at that time.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What type shotgun does he have? Semi auto? Fixed breech?
For my 12ga 1100 I use the 29 bushing load 1 1/8oz Oklahomabassin listed above, but a lot of OU shooters are loading 1 oz of 9s for 12ga skeet. I mostly shoot 20ga skeet (7/8 oz 9s) because I shoot the same scores in both gauges. For sporting clays, there is benefit in 1 1/8 oz of 8s. There are several powders suitable but 700X is THE 12ga powder (red dot, 7625, unique, 800X, Universal, etc) Powder is not always readily available. WIN AA and Rem STS shells are sold at Walmart and other places, and I would not waste my time loading any of the bargain hulls. You CAN, BUT prepare to be frustrated.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. He's shooting an O/U and been buying all his own ammo. I'm sure he has been buying the cheapest thing he can find, i.e. Fiocchi, Estate, etc. I don't know what else. I have a healthy supply of AA's that have been around for a long time. They've stayed dry, but have also been exposed to all kinds of temperature extremes. I saw a lot of loads with 700X and Clays, neither of which I have on hand. I figure I'm gonna' need to buy some powder specifically for him anyway, or he may want to buy it himself. He's pretty independent and likes to save his money and pay his own way. I've also got a decent supply of 7 1/2's, but that'll go fast the way he's shooting!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get him on recycled shot for the skeet and close range trap. Its a lot cheaper.
You can get it in Ponca. Contact Ricksshootingsupplies.com. Rick carries a full warehouse of quality hulls, wads, etc for the shotgun reloader. Mail order, local pickup, or he takes a trailer to some of the bigger trap shoots and sells product there like Bassin said. Real nice guy. He is a semi-pro trap shooter, and will talk your leg off if you have questions.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've already been looking at Gene Sears and just checked out Rick's web site. Thanks, fellas! I may have to get busy ...I mean, get HIM busy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom