Trapping firsts...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 2 firsts so far this week while trapping.

Yesterday morning, I was following the trail where I had a few sets and saw some fresh deer tracks heading down the same trail. I thought to myself, “How weird would it be if I trapped a deer in a foot trap?” I came to my first set and there was a fresh track not 2” from the trap. I head on to the second trap and sure enough, that doe had put her front foot right in my trap. She didn’t have a lot of difficulty getting out. She appeared to have jumped straight up and tried to run, only to be spun around when the trap reached the end of the lead. She yanked backward a couple times and slid her foot out of the trap.

Then this morning, I’m walking up to another set on a different trail and I see black and white. Crap. I caught a skunk. Check that. I caught 2 skunks in the same set. Apparently they were walking side by side and both stepped into the trap, catching them both.

I’m pretty sure with how this week is going, tomorrow I’m going to catch that elusive black panther!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome story. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a deer in a leg hold.
My craziest was having a double set at the mouth of a badger den on the pond dam. I really wanted it gone before it breached the dam, hence the double set.
I’m thinking a rodent must have crossed where the traps were because when I walked over the top of the dam, there was a red tail hawk in each trap. They were tangled and they were mad. Only had my jacket to throw over them, so when they were finally covered, released the traps, looked their talons over for damage, seeing none and pulled the jacket off. They just stood there for a bit and then flew off.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone run up to the last day? I set 8 coon traps Tuesday but couldn’t get up to check them cause of weather yesterday. All 8 had tripped but all but one got out. The one that I got had both paws in that little hole. Don’t know how he even got them in there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom