Trapping hogs with round trap questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some call it a figure C or 6 trap or just an oval/round trap with continuous door.

Hog panel are 34" tall and looks like you may be better served at 48" panel height.
Hog panels have more wires down low than a feed/cattle panel.

Just wondering which would be best and if anyone here has luck with that style.
I am thinking about trapping some in the future. Yea I do not have a spot yet.

If the opportunity comes up I want to be ready. I am sure it will be a learning experience.

Looks like 6 or 7 panels at 16 foot long would do it. then a lot of T posts. About 28 of them for 4 foot spacing I figure.
Do you need closer than 4 foot spacing..I know beef up the door area with a couple extras.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hog panel are 34" tall and looks like you may be better served at 48" panel height.
Hog panels have more wires down low than a feed/cattle panel.
I raised hogs for several years. IME, "hog panels" (they were 4ft tall then) don't make any difference unless you're trying to keep 6-8 week old pigs in a pen. Might extend to a few weeks older, but I weaned mine at 8 weeks.

HOWEVER...

Hog panels are no doubt stronger on the bottom, so that might make a difference with bat-crazy feral hogs trying to escape. And hogs are stronger than ya might think. I've had 'em almost root/lift me off my feet (I was around 200lbs then), while working on feeders and stuff.

They were hilarious btw. I'd go into the finish pen to do something, and they'd go "woof, woof, woof" and run off to the back side. And before I'd get done, they were sniffing and rooting all around me.
:drunk2:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that raises Hampshire hogs and they were all his babies at one time and they like to be scratched and pet and love to play with things with their noses and a 250 lb hog can pick you up at 200 lb with it's nose.
I know that and I know they are very strong.
He had one that was 450lb. They are incredibly strong.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup they are pretty stout but if you can hold him by the back legs like a wheelbarrow you got him. Then you dump the wheelbarrow on its side and insert knife into the heart in one motion. This is pretty easy if dogs are hanging on ears.
I went to "leg" a pretty dang good sized boar the dogs had in a briar patch once, I had his left and kept sweeping my hand for his right. Finally just went to the knife. Turns out he'd caught his back right in something above the hock once upon a time and lost that leg.
Buddies and I were catching our air afterwards and remember one of em saying a few hours earlier when the dogs had went cold after being real gamey "well, let's move on. Maybe these dogs can find a 3 legged hog." I guess we learned that day to be careful what ya wish for and ask and ye shall receive.

Last edited:

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive built and used with success numerous circle traps. You can use as few as 4 16 footers and about 15 t-post. 6 16' panels makes a bigger more ideal trap but not absolutely necessary. Research shows that the bigger traps are more effective, but your biggest limiting factor is the door system you choose. Evidently the highest success rates come from large perimeter traps with 8' wide doors.

I've only used the panel as the trap door, and it works great if you do it correctly. However, using the panel for the door makes the door your weakest link in the trap.

It is also difficult to get a very wide entry way with the panel.

The short version of using the panel door is as follows; Door must be held open with a trigger system (I use a root stick). Contrary to popular belief pigs do not like to force their way into the trap. Door must have enough tension/snap to close fast and stay closed. Too short and you cant pull it open wide enough. My last trap only had about 20" wide doorway and I caught 15 pigs with it (the entire sounder). Also, once the pigs are trapped they DO know exactly where they came in from and I have had them attack the door by ramming it over and over and nearly pushing it through the trap.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive built and used with success numerous circle traps. You can use as few as 4 16 footers and about 15 t-post. 6 16' panels makes a bigger more ideal trap but not absolutely necessary. Research shows that the bigger traps are more effective, but your biggest limiting factor is the door system you choose. Evidently the highest success rates come from large perimeter traps with 8' wide doors.

I've only used the panel as the trap door, and it works great if you do it correctly. However, using the panel for the door makes the door your weakest link in the trap.

It is also difficult to get a very wide entry way with the panel.

The short version of using the panel door is as follows; Door must be held open with a trigger system (I use a root stick). Contrary to popular belief pigs do not like to force their way into the trap. Door must have enough tension/snap to close fast and stay closed. Too short and you cant pull it open wide enough. My last trap only had about 20" wide doorway and I caught 15 pigs with it (the entire sounder). Also, once the pigs are trapped they DO know exactly where they came in from and I have had them attack the door by ramming it over and over and nearly pushing it through the trap.
You've got my curiosity. Do you think the trap triggered after the entire sounder was inside or do you think some pushed in after door tripped. That was dang lucky if you got em all with none pushing in.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've got my curiosity. Do you think the trap triggered after the entire sounder was inside or do you think some pushed in after door tripped. That was dang lucky if you got em all with none pushing in.
None pushed in, as I run a trail camera on the trap and can see that they all are in when it gets triggered.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My trap but its on a friends place and his cellular cam. The other night they cleaned up 80# corn but he only had 2 pictures. One reason I won't recommend a Spypoint cam to anyone.
Image-1(2).jpg

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My trap but its on a friends place and his cellular cam. The other night they cleaned up 80# corn but he only had 2 pictures. One reason I won't recommend a Spypoint cam to anyone. View attachment 129931
Bassin, that's one of them fancy traps you trip by sending it a text ain't it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom