Trapping Paid Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great idea!
You Know.....they would probably be good bait for the wild pig population. This season my son and son-in-law both got deer. They quartered them and got the backstrap and as much of the meat they could without gutting, etc. We put the carcass in an area designated as a pig kill zone. Sure enough within 24 hours about 20 pigs showed up ( on trailcam) and devoured EVERYTHING.....no bones....nothing left.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see tons of them on my trailcams. I never thought of them devastating the turkey population. We have turkeys but they are inconsistent visitors. I suppose the trapped coons could be used as coyote bait and take care of 2 problems.
You'll likely need to at least puncture the gut cavity to draw in coyotes. Even when dead, coyotes are wary of raccoons. In watching carcasses, I've seen possums, hawks, owls and buzzards on them.
Here is a question, how do you trap them but also ensure you don’t get animals that may or be of interest? Just use live traps or jaw ones and roll the dice?

Interesting topic and one I have not considered before now.
Using the Duke dog-proof, your by-catches will be minimal but you will encounter the occasional possum (kill them in season as they're nest predators too), skunks (same as possums) and crows. Releasing out of season isn't bad with a piece of plywood and a notch cut out to go over their arm as you release.

There's a z-man trap but it's trigger will fire on up or down movement, increasing skunk / possum catches from what I've seen and heard. Duke only fires on up movement against the trigger. This is where the marshmallow impaled on the trigger is key.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Duke's dog proof coon traps for years and swear by them. I have only caught 2 possums in them and one was released alive the other had a broken leg and was dispatched. I use mini marshmallows with Hershey's chocolate syrup. It works every time. They are suckers for something sweet. Buy Duke's with confidence.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I see tons of them on my trailcams. I never thought of them devastating the turkey population. We have turkeys but they are inconsistent visitors. I suppose the trapped coons could be used as coyote bait and take care of 2 problems.
A single coyote won't mess with a coon in a trap, but two or three will shred a coon in a trap. Same goes for foxes, coyotes will shred them. That's why you rarely see foxes outside of the city limits, it's safer lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom