Trapping Paid Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it is disheartening when trying to grow some organic field corn or sweet corn and them bastards rape, pillage, and destroy a fine crop.

That is the main reason I got the dog proofs from TrapsUSA

Next on the hit list is squirrels, been eyeing up methods of using 110 conibears.
I feel your pain as far as corn harvesting. Those suckers wait until the day before you plan to harvest to decimate the crop. However I solved the problem with an electrified net fence around the garden. Only 30” tall that I can step over. Solar charger. Takes less than 30 minutes to put up or take down. Haven’t lost an ear of corn or tomato to coons or squirrels Since. Check out premier1supply.com for the fencing. I use a 42” tall for a chicken yard as well.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used Duke's dog proof coon traps for years and swear by them. I have only caught 2 possums in them and one was released alive the other had a broken leg and was dispatched. I use mini marshmallows with Hershey's chocolate syrup. It works every time. They are suckers for something sweet. Buy Duke's with confidence.
Ya see, I was expecting sardines or something smelly like them. Ya learn sumpin every day don't ya.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's at least 5x the number of raccoons that you see, in the area. They have a 2-4 mile range from home base, is what I've read.

I use Duke DP traps, anchored with 12-18" rebar J-hooks. Do not put the traps close to something they can climb or they'll pull the rebar out. If near something vertical, use 100lb braided wire to the trap chain links and tie it off good! I put 5-7 pieces of dog food in the bottom, then impale a full size marshmallow on the trigger, length wise to fill the trap circumference.

I started using my gamo big cat 1200 pellet gun to dispatch. Much quieter and cheaper when going to war with raccoons. Put it between their eyes and a bit above for the brain. They become ditch ornaments for the owls, hawks, etc.
I would have thought there is a market for the pelts but I guess you aren't doing it for that purpose.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would have thought there is a market for the pelts but I guess you aren't doing it for that purpose.
There's little to no fur market left in North America. China was the number one buyer of all US coons. Then they started raising their own lol, and left the US and Canada at the NAFTA fur auction with several million unsold coon pelts. Nearly everyone on down the line went broke. It affected all the other markets really, there's a small amount to be made with really prime coyotes and bobcats, but those will be pelts from Wyoming, Montana, Nevada and Idaho, not Oklahoma.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really need to set traps the next time I’m up. :rolleyes2
4837E911-7C22-41DD-9389-238DDDFB7A36.jpeg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's little to no fur market left in North America. China was the number one buyer of all US coons. Then they started raising their own lol, and left the US and Canada at the NAFTA fur auction with several million unsold coon pelts. Nearly everyone on down the line went broke. It affected all the other markets really, there's a small amount to be made with really prime coyotes and bobcats, but those will be pelts from Wyoming, Montana, Nevada and Idaho, not Oklahoma.
KanOkla Fur Company

It shows Kingfisher, Woodward and Alva

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KanOkla Fur Company

It shows Kingfisher, Woodward and Alva
Buying furs and making it worth the drive are two different things.
I looked into it last year up here in Nebraska and they were paying like $1/coyote pelt, which you had to skin for them to take, and they were like an hour away. Nevermind the cost of the ammo was basically what you were going to get for the pelt, might as well just leave them in the field.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought Dukes were the first tubed dog proof on the market? The original coon cuff had square tubing as a base iirc.
Yes, built in Kansas. I have one, but the trigger must have been made of some brittle steel or something as a coon broke it off and the guy doesn't build them anymore. I guess I could spend a day in the shop building one, but for the new tube type prices, it's not worth my time to do so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom